1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperate to delete this Internet Explorer / Javascript artifact!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ocplayers, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocplayers

ocplayers Thread Starter

I was visiting some Asian sites via search engine, and somewhere along the way there must have been a site with Javascript code that affected my Internet Explorer 5.5

Now the very top of my Internet Explorer browser always reads "Chinese Music At Sailingmoon.com" and there doesn't seem to be anything I could do to get rid of this message.

The only thing I could think of to resolve this problem is by editing my registry files, but I've never done this before (and wouldn't know how to do so safely). And this is very risky.

Is there a simpler or alternative solution that I could try?

PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you.

2. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi ocplayers. Welcome to TSG. I hate to tell you this, but you are indeed going to have to do a little registry editing. Follow the instructions in this MS article to regain your original IE windows title:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q176/4/97.ASP?

But before you do that you should Backup the registry key that you are going work with. Here's how to do it:

Open up the Registry Editor (Start>Run>type in regedit>Ok) In the Registry Editor highlight the Registry Key you are going to be working with (folder in the left pane), click on the "Registry" Toolbar button up top and choose "Export Registry File". Give it a name and save it. To Export a registry file means that you are making a copy of the key you are going to change, and then you save it somewhere safe and convenient, like the Desktop or My Documents. I created a folder in My Documents called "Deleted Registry Keys" for keys that I've modified or deleted. If the Registry changes you made have bad effects, you can always go find the Registry keys (.reg files) you saved and rightclick and Merge (or doubleclick) and change the Registry keys back to what they were originally before you made the changes.

If you need any help with any of the procedures listed in the MS article, just let us know.
    Good luck. :) sharon

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice