1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(desperate ungeek) confused about wrong task pane template fix

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by d4l3d, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

My search term skills are failing me. I hope someone has the time to help me or send me in the right direction.

I have XP SP2

I discovered after using "classic folder view" for a while and switching back to the task pane that a number of windows are wrongly displayed. I found a possible answer to the task pane template problem at;

http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq/
    Special Folders

A number of my problems were not addressed in the help.
    ------------------

Firstly, my C drive is one of the affected folders.

None of my affected folders has a "customize" option in "properties". They are all in my personal folder rather than "all users" so I don't know if the directions still strictly apply to me.

With many of the folders in question, when I add "\desktop.ini" and hit enter I'm asked whether I want to connect to the internet or work offline. I'm guessing, but I may have tried the desktop.ini trick while online(?). I have no idea how to deal with this.

-------------------
    I have hardly any experience with command prompt and have no confidence in my ability to back out of a fix should I screw up. I do, however, have TuneUp Utilities 2006 which gives me a registry editor and a "Rescue Center" which supposedly allows me to roll back from mistakes (haven't tried it yet). Maybe this is an altenative avenue.

I'm sure I've left things out but, if someone choses to respond, maybe I'll remember them.

I am self-taught with large gaps in knowledge and have no one to turn to where I am.

Thank you in advance for your time, Dale

2. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Please, is there no one willing to help?

Dale

3. Augie65

Augie65

4. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

Thank you Augie65 for getting back to me. It is much appreciated.

I'm obviously not making myself clear about the problem I'm having. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I want to make sure it's understood I'm talking about the pane at the left side of the window displaying options that are incorrect relative to the kinds of folders displayed in the window.

I understand about using The "customize" tab. One of my problems is that the folders that are affected are not supposed to have a "customize" tab. If they did, this would be easy to deal with.

From one of your provided links;
    "Note that the system folders such as Windows, Program Files, My Documents, My Pictures, My Music do not have the customize tab. This is by design, and cannot be changed."

Also, I still don't understand why, when I type "\desktop.ini" at the end of a folder address, I'm asked if I want to connect to the internet when I'm offline. It's supposed to either show me Notepad or tell me the file can't be found. I think I need for this to behave before I do anything else.

Thank you for the link to Microsoft. However, as I follow the links I find myself quickly getting in over my head and can't tell if I'm finding anything specific to my problem. I don't think I am. Microsoft help appears to assume a level of knowledge I don't have.

Once my problem's solution is identified, I need small steps. I have much to understand yet.

Still needy, Dale

5. d4l3d

d4l3d Thread Starter

I'm still plagued with the problem. If anyone wants to keep pursuing this, I would be grateful.

d4l3d

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice