Desperate: Windows Update- very serious issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beaglehound

I'm not able to download and install important/critical Windows updates at this time because my computer appears that it is not able to search for updates any longer. [I'm using Vista]
I have Windows Updates set to Automatic [everyday at 9:00AM]

How it responded before:

Whenever WU checked for updates I would get a message [with a green shield logo of some sort] telling me if all was well and there were no important updates to install or if there were important updates to download and install.

Current response:

Everyday I get a message box with a yellow shield and exclamation mark in it. The message itself says:
"Always install the latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance."

I press the 'Check for updates' button and it starts to check. When it appears to be finished I get the same message box as if nothing has happened. I get the same message each time.

Recently I've been getting a new message box with a red shield saying it could not check for updates due to error #80070426

What I've done so far:

- I've done a search to resolve this including using Microsoft's "Fix it" little program. It did not help.
- I've tried to stop and start the Software Licensing Service on Local Computer. It would not stop because of error message 1053.
- I tried to fix error message 1053 but so far I cannot. If this could be fixed I would deal #80070426
- I tried a system restore but the latest I can go back is December 09

My last Windows Update was December 07/11

Is there a program out there that will fix my Windows Update program?
Is there a way of installing a new Windows Update program and getting rid of the old that appears corrupted?

I'm very concerned right now because I'm not able to search for let alone install important updates. Your help would be most appreciated.

Beagle

beaglehound

Phantom~

Thanks,but I tried that site. I even downloaded the Microsoft Fix it tool. It fixed one thing. The other things it checked it did not fix.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Error 80070426 means the service has not been started.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type services.msc

Click OK.

Is the Windows Update service both Started and Automatic?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Are the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and DCOM Server Process Launcher services Started and Automatic? They are both dependencies.

beaglehound

Phantom~

I activated both of those other services as well. No change yet.

I tried the MIcrosoft Fix It program again and it says:

"Change Windows Update location to Windows Default Settings"

How do I do this?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Windows updates are saved to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Not sure how to change that.

beaglehound

Thanks for your efforts Phantom. Much appreciated. I'll continue researching. Please let me know if you find out how I can relocate Windows Updates to "Windows Default Settings"

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
I have deleted the Fix a few minutes ago. I've read the manual fixes and they won't do any good. And, they were for XP, Vista and 7.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
By the way, you do have sufficient drive space in your %SystemRoot% folder for Windows Update? I think you need at least 15 GB of available space for Vista.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Everyday I get a message box with a yellow shield and exclamation mark in it. The message itself says:
"Always install the latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance."
Beagle
The message isn't Microsoft's syntax for any function of Windows Update, so I think that puts malware at the head of the likely suspects list. And I would start looking for a cure based on that assumption.

But Microsoft also says that this the 8190478 error can happen if the Licensing Service isn't running, and suggest that in the Services snap-in the service should be set to automatic and either manually started, or stopped and restarted if it already shows to be running. Since that didn't work, and since you've already tried the MS FixIt tool, I would download and run the System Update Readiness Tool. If things still aren't right, try running System File Checker. That might fix some of the other errors you're seeing. But, I'd still start with the assumption that you have an infection.

beaglehound

I used file checker and there were some corrupted files that it could not fix. I tried using the command to see the files that were corrupted but it would not recognize the command.

I've run a thorough scan for malware/virus using to reliable programs.....nothing.

I'm at a loss to understand why the Software Licensing service keeps stopping. I don't know how I can fix the corrupted files if I can't see them.

I had a problem getting updates for XP. I contacted MS Support via e-mail and worked with a representative to resolve the problem. Part of my Registry was missing. There was no charge for the Update problem.

Go to this link and click on the Updates . . . You will notice that there is no charge for the service. Fill in the box to state your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online