1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperately need help with the blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lfuaau, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lfuaau

lfuaau Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Everytime I try to restart my computer it would take me to a blue screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." I went into F8 and tried every option offered on that page. I even tried to reboot from the boot cd and still no luck. I removed everything connected to the usb including the mouse, shut it off, removed the battery and all power lines and still no luck.

The blue screen also has a message that reads,"Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any upated drivers. Run chkdsk / F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Is there a possible way to check /F without being able to log onto windows?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First of all what is the exact message on the blue screen? There should be an error code in all cases and a driver file in some.

What happens when you try to boot from the Windows CD (is that what you have?) and enter the "recovery console" (this is the "r" for "repair" option).

Depending on the error type, one or more of the following commands can be tried from the Console >>

chkdsk /r

(repairs file system damage, and let's you know if it is completely hosed).

fixmbr -- can repair the master boot record in some cases.

Others described here >> http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm

3. lfuaau

lfuaau Thread Starter

The message on the blue screen reads:

" A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA,0xF897A80c,0xF897A50c,0xF84112BBA)

***Ntfs.sys - Address F8412BBA base at F84060000, DateStamp 3d6de5c1

I tried everything that the error message reads but it keeps taking me to the blue screen.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. lfuaau

lfuaau Thread Starter

Using the reboot cd, it goes into the Welcome to setup screen. It gives me three options. these options are:

1. To set up Windows xp now, press ENTER.
    2. To repair a Windows xp installation using Recovery console, press R.
    3 To quit set up without installing windows xp, pressf3 .

No matter which option I choose, it always takes me back to the blue screen.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!