1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperately need to recover lost music files..

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jaiz, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaiz

Jaiz Thread Starter

Hey Guys. My name is Jeremy and I have Windows XP Operating System, I am very upset at the moment. I just hooked up my new external hard drive on Saturday , and I tried to cut and paste a folder from my F drive into this new E drive. I got a message saying it could not move all the files in because it was being used by another program. So I went to move the files that were transferred to the E drive back to the F Drive with this software caled [email protected] It asked me if I wanted to replace F:// with the files. I clicked yes thinking the files would be moved into the F drive. You have to re-boot for the files to be moved with the software.. so i re-booted and everything from my F Drive was gone... so basically I saved over my whole F Drive, and nothing was transferred anyway.

So I lost all of the music I downloaded through the years which included thousands of MP3's. I also lost all the wav files for personal songs I've made, all recording sessions that I've saved on this computer dating back to 2005, all the epidodes of tv shows i kept on there, and all the cut segments and performances from american idol episodes I took hours and hours to cut and re-encode over the past 2 years.

I've tried numerous file recovery programs like FreeUndelete, File Recovery 7.1, Optimum Data Recovery, and even paid $69 for a program called Recover My Files. Before using these programs I did a system restore to a day before I saved over the F Drive. It restored all the names of the folders in the F Drive, but none of the files. I tried FreeUndelete, and it actually restored almost all of my mp3's. I don't remember what happened but I ended up losing one of the folders that was recovered that contained most of those mp3's. I kept trying to get it back, but it never came back.

I tried all the other programs and I was able to get back almost all of my video files, but just about all of the WAV's that were recovered were corrupt. Not to mention they were all scattered all over the place, and it appeared that many of the wav files were not only damaged but also fragmented into a bunch of parts. I was able to recover about 30 of my personally made songs that were in WAV format after I looked all over the place and played every wav file that was big enough to hold the contents of a full song. Many mp3's were scattered all over the place, and many were fragmented into little parts and were corrupt as well. So I just deleted all of that.

I went to do another system restore in hopes that I would be able to somehow restore that one folder that had so much music on it in their labeled folders, and use the freeundelete tool again. However, I couldn't restore it to any restore point cause none were made for September, and I wanted to restore it to sometime in the last few days of August.. but it won't allow me to go back to the previous month:(

Any help would be appreciated. Is there anyway I can get these mp3 and wav files back, and they won't be scattered all over the place or corrupt? I would like them all to be in the same named folders they were in before, and have the same file names. Finally, what would be the best file recovery software to use to try to recover wav's, mp3's, and adobe audition .ses files?

Regards,
    Jeremy

2. luic

luic

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry about your loss, but the data can still be in the external drive - if you haven't overwritten them. Have a look at this page: http://nisheet.jain.googlepages.com/howtorecoverlostfilesafteryouaccidentallywipeyourharddrive

I have not used the program myself, but it seems to work fine. The only thing is that you do not write on the drive E. It might not be a bad idea using a different disk altogether where to put the data as you recover them.

Good luck. Let me know if you succeeded.

luic

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice