desperately seeking help!! unable to connect to internet through laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iizherre4eva

please help, i am using a speedtouch 576 router, i need to connect 2 laptops to it both are using windows xp professional and so is my desktop. i have followed all the intsrtutions carefully to get it up and running, but i am unable to connect to the internet through the laptops. i am connected to the network but not to the internet! any ideas, anything at all will help!!:confused: :mad::( :eek:

A lot of ISPs use MAC address authentication in order for you to connect to the internet. Try cloning your desktop MAC Address into your router and then see if your laptops will connect.

iizherre4eva

how would i go about cloning the MAC address? sorry im knew at this type of computer work!

You'll just have to look that up in your router's manual. Sorry, I don't know about speedtouch.

Another possible problem is that your router isn't assigning ip addresses to your laptops. Do you have DHCP enabled?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Take a step back and tell us what configuration your network is. Is this wired or wireless? What make/model are the laptops, and what version/patch level of Windows are you running? On one of the non-working laptops, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

iizherre4eva

this is a wireless network, im using windows xp professional service pack 2. both my laptops are acer 500, i will try the DOS thing shortly thanks!

iizherre4eva

ok JohnWILL here's what i got from doing the DOS thing

Windows IP Configuration

Host name............................. : Hannah
primary dns suffix................... :
node type............................... : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled.................. : No
WINS Proxy enabled................ : No

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Media State............................: Media disconnected
description..............................: Sis 900 - based PCI Fast ethernet adapter
physical address......................: 00 - C0 - 9F - 9B- E9 - 9E

Ethernet adapter wireless newtowrk connection:

Connection - specific DNS Suffix ....:
description...................................: Atheros AR5005G wireless network adapter
physical address...........................: 00 - 0E - 9B - CF - EC - 2E
Dhcp enabled...............................: No
IP Address...................................: 172. 202. 76. 211
Subnet address............................: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway ..........................:

this is exactly what i got up from doing what you said!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, you have DHCP disabled on the wireless connection, that's bound to be one problem. Since you have no default gateway, you also don't have any Internet connections.

You need to enable automatic IP and DNS address resolution in the TCP/IP properties for the wireless connection.

iizherre4eva

the IP address is enabled to obtain an address automatically and so is the DNS server, any more ideas? :confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, it would have been nice to see another IPCONFIG, so we could verify that. Try resetting the TCP/IP stack to defaults, here's the process.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Did you add the gateway address? Without it you won't be getting to far. If you are unsure, it'll be the internal IP of your router.

iizherre4eva

I have done as you have said, about resetting. i did another IPCONFIG, which still is saying that the DHCP is not enabled, even though the DNS and IP addresses are automatically being obtained.

The DHCP must be enabled on the routers configuration setup page. Your post #6 sounds as though you are refering to the ip configuration on the computers themselves.

Do you know how to access the routers setup page from the wired and working pc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online