1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desperately trying to reinstall or unistall windows 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by platypus2227, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. platypus2227

platypus2227 Thread Starter

I am trying to completely remove Windows 95 from a really old computer. I have no discs and cannot format a boot disc or use one formatted from another comp because my floppy is broken. Is there anything I can do? I have tried various fixes from the internet in DOS, but nothing works. I have also tried just unistalling Windows 95 from the unistall programs window but it was not there. I attempted to reinstall Windows 95 hoping it would replace some missing files so I could unistall, but I do not have the correct 95 version disc. Please help! Any and all suggestions would be terrific!

thanks
    platypus

2. dr20

dr20

Hi,

What is it exactly you want to do, uninstall Windows 95 so you can put another OS on there or reinstall Windows 95?

3. john1

john1

subscribing

4. platypus2227

I really want to uninstall Windows 95 in order to install a new OS, but if that is not possible than I will settle for a working reinstalled version of 95. I have copies of both Windows 98 and ME available to me, but they are the full install versions and not upgrades. I tend to think that 98 will run best, but I need to completely remove 95 before it will let me install it, and i can't make any boot disks because my floppy drive doesn't work.

5. john1

john1

Hi Platypus,

You should be able to overinstall Win98,
    without wiping any of your previous files off.

However, you say this PC is a 'really old computer'
    well if its slower than 200 to 250 megacycles,
    then it will not be satisfactory on Win98.

Win95 will run happily at lower speeds.
    Also Win98 insists on at least 64MB RAM to install
    (i think)
    Win95 will install with as little as 4MB, but wants
    20 to 30 MB of RAM to run properly. 128 would be ok
    on most older machines.

The browser that shipped with 95 will still work,
    but most web pages need newer browsers to work
    properly. They can be downloaded and installed.

Is this a laptop or a desktop, laptops often have
    busted floppy drives.

Does the computer work to any extent?
    Please describe ...

you say you tried to uninstall using the uninstall
    window, so windows presumably did load so you could
    try that ... does windows still load ?

What make and model is this ?
    Some manufacturers have special partitioning set-ups.

Please include as much info as you can,

Cheers, John :)

6. dr20

dr20

Before going any further do you have a properly working CD-Rom and can you get a hold of a bootable Windows 98 start disk on CD? If so you'd have to go into the bios and set it so the computer boots to that drive before the HD.

Also, do you have about 600mbs of free space on your HD that has Windows 95 on it? Since your floppy drive is broke, once in DOS mode from the CD-ROM you can install your new OS from the HD after you've temporarily copied the Windows 98 files exactly as they exist on the disk to the HD. Those files would be in a folder on the root C.

The easiest way to completely delete Windows 95 before installing the new OS is to place a deltree command along with a smartdrive command on your root C and at the dos prompt from your CD-Rom remove it.

In Windows 98 those commands are in Windows\Command folder, you can check and see if that folder exists in Windows 95, I'm not sure. If it doesn't you can get them from another source.

To run smartdrive you have to have Himem.sys loaded, chances are the boot disk would have that file along with the properly Config.sys file on it. You'd have to check that also to make sure. If not you don't need smartdrive, that just speeds things up a little.

I can give you the commands for all that when you're ready.

The other option to deleting Windows 95 and reinstalling another OS is to place the HD temporarily in another computer with a working floppy drive if you have one. Then you can do the work using a floppy boot disk.

7. platypus2227

The computer is a Dell Optiplex GXM 5100, with 64 RAMS. WIndows will boot up, but virtually no programs will run successfully. Most of the time they will start and then a prompt will come up that says that the program can not successfully be run.

I do have a Windows 98 startup disk on cd, but I don't know how to set the bios so that the computer boots to that drive before the HD.

Unfortunately I only have 245mbs of free space on the comp. The total cap is 1.0 gb. I have tried to delete some programs, but many will now not uninstall. Is there an easy way to clear more gb?

I am unsure that the deltree and and smartdrive commands will work. (I think I may have already tried that.) Please explain this step in more detail so I can go over it step by step again. I am also unsure of exactly how to copy the the files to the HD after rebooting.

Is all hope lost? I really don't want to have to dismantle the computer can I work with what I have? Thanks so much for all your help!

8. dr20

dr20

The first thing you would do is boot up on Windows 95 and copy the files from the Windows 98 disk over. Since you intend to delete everything on it anyway how much space is the program folder taking up? One option is to delete as much of it as you can prior to copying over the Windows 98 files if that would give you enough space. Check and see, you will need at least 650mb free space to copy over the entire Windows 98 disk. But don't do anything yet, just let me know.

To get into the bios, when the computer first turns on press F1 or whatever it instructs you to on the screen to get into setup. Once in scroll down to start up devices. Hit enter to get into that screen and you should see something like:

First device
    Second device

Change the first device from Diskette to CD-Rom using the arrow keys.
    Save the settings and you should be set, but try it to make sure it works using the boot disk you have.

9. platypus2227

The program files folder is taking up 228mbs. So if everything else is deleted there should be enough room to save Windows 98, right?

I understand how you are explaining to get into bios, but I can only manage to get to the Window 95 Startup Menu, is this the same?

10. dr20

dr20

Hi,

What version of Windows 98 do you have, is it OEM or retail? If it's retail you should be able to install it right over Windows 95 with it running. Have you tried that?

11. platypus2227

It's retail, but I did not think that it would run over Windows 95, so I didn't bother trying (duh!) I am trying it now and will let you know if it works. Thanks again!

12. john1

john1

Hi Platypus, Hi Dr20,

I think the Optiplex 5100 is a 100 MHz machine,
    but i'm not sure.

That might be uncomfortably slow driving a Win98.

Unless this Optiplex is a faster machine, maybe you
    should consider getting the existing 95 system to
    run properly.

If you want to press ahead putting 98 on it,
    i suggest you hang on to the 95 install cabs,
    in case you wish to revert back to the 95 system.

Best of luck with it, John :)

13. dr20

dr20

Hi John and Platypus

I've used Windows 98SE on an old Pentium 133 I had and it ran very well considering. It only had 96mbs ram to go with it. A 100mz could be cutting it close, I agree with John, might be a good idea to keep the 95 cabs around in case 98 doesn't work out.

14. platypus2227

Seems to have worked ok. It seems stupid that I didn't try it before, but it seemed too easy! I can't believe I spent 5 hours trying to uninstall in DOS, I won't be doing that again. Thanks for being so helpful and patient!

~platypus

15. dr20

dr20

Glad it worked out, if you have any more problems with it let us know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice