1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperatly Need Help: Brand New Comp Sucks!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2KThunder, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2KThunder

2KThunder Thread Starter

I have posted everywhere and two people have replied, I thanks those two people, but I need more...

The rig:
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Details
    Asus P4S800 Motherboard Details
    Crucial 512MB PC3200 Ram Details
    Asylum GeForce MX 4000 Details
    Cheap 350watt PSU that came with case (12a on 12v)

Its not a gaming machine, hence the GeForce4 MX4000 ($79 card).

The problems:
    Here are the pics of what typically happens when switching between apps/or doing anything when the cpu is working
    http://www.lonestarthunder.com/a.jpg
    http://www.lonestarthunder.com/b.jpg
    http://www.lonestarthunder.com/hang.jpg
    and here is a shot of the ASUS Hardware Monitor:
    http://www.lonestarthunder.com/power.jpg
    I get frequent not respondings in applications, but never really a full freeze, they come back within seconds. When I have windows open and I clcik the Show desktop button, sometimes the icons take a few seconds to draw out, or not nec. draw, but redraw from the plain file icon to the app icon. Somtimes clicking popup menusthe popup is immediate, other times theres a 2 second pause. I am going from a 2.4 non HT Dell, and my new comps running under that level. SiSandra scores for CPU are on, as well as memory. The video drivers/bios/chipset are all latest drivers. The BIOS is set to auto memory timing, and the cpu is the same non-oc'd as it is oc'ed 150MHZ.

Possible Causes:
    1. Power supply?
    2. Video card? I can stil return the card, and I plan on doing so.....

Anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be? I am extremly desperate as I rely heavily on my computer, and it needs to be to par, and for the money I have dumped into this system to perform worse than my Dell, is not cool. Thanks,
    John

2. adimac

adimac

The latter part of your problem is very similar to mine - see below ('What is happening - how do I fix it??'). At first I thought it might be a graphics, memory, or cpu problem, but it turns out that it may be a hard drive problem - weird. I'm no expert, but it could be worth checking out.

Good luck.

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

From your asus probe picture, your power supplies +12v rail is running at a 11.328. This is indeed low. A power supply should be no more than a 5% variance on either the +3.3, +5, and +12. It should not go above or below 2.8/3.8, 4.5/5.5, and 11.5/12.5. Although, i cannot rely on the sensor itself. It might be a good idea to test the output with a voltmeter to verify if the sensor is indeed correct.

From experience i have never trusted cheap power supplies. I have seen too many prematurely fail within the first year and fry additional hardware with it when it goes. These power supplies use cheap components. They tend to overheat and cant even run stable power through the rails. Just to name a few cheap power supplies not to have allied, foxconn, deer, and powermax. I know you spent a pretty penny on your hardware. Why would you wanna use a cheap power supply? When, the power supply is the most important component in the system. Think about it.....????? It supplies power to all the hardware in the system.

Just to let you know....
    A bad or failing psu can cause instability problems, unknown errors, and even sluggish performace.

I would recommend getting a quality power supply. Makers of antec, enermax, fortran, or sparkle just to name a few will do you well. I would also go for at the bear min a 350W, but i would lean toward a 400W to have the additional power in case of future hardware upgrades. At least then you would have peace of mind knowing your running quality power throughout your system.

I hate being blunt, but im just stating the facts.
    If indeed this does solve your problem give us a shout in this thread.
    Good luck
    TC
    rockin'male:cool:

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I work at a computer shop and we build all our own machines, we put 450W powersupplies in our 3GHz P4 systems as a matter of course. You shouldn't ever skimp on the powersupply, a cheap one will wreck all the components in your computer.

5. brite750

brite750

It's funny, people will spend a fortune on a surge suppressor or power backup and then buy a $20 power supply....wake up lilsnuzzie.

6. majordutch

majordutch

pay attention to your memory usage, scan your system with ad-aware for example, try to end programs which you are not recognized with from the task bar.

if this wont work...

try to install a clean version of windows, don't install any programs but...photoshop, see if it still makes you troubles. :)

7. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy

8. 2KThunder

2KThunder Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I had intended on replacing the PSU when funds permitted, I know its not good to use that one. But I am just trying to figure out if that can be to blame for my problems? About the HD, I suspected that at first, anyway to benchmark it or test it? Thanks,
    John

9. dai

dai

there have been some problems with the prescott on the asus boards from what i have read on an asus forum,they seem to recommend a bios update

10. rockinmale

rockinmale

To answer your question.......Yes, if your power is running way below +12v. It will cause your hard drive to run erratic. This is due to insufficent power.

11. winbob

winbob

Fuzzy,

I'll give you $10 US for your Laptop, AND I'll split the shipping with you just so that you'll stop Grouse'ing!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice