1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Destination host unreachable" when pinged from outside my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Boyenn, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boyenn

Boyenn Thread Starter

TSG info :
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8110 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 121074 MB, Free - 4367 MB; D: Total - 934781 MB, Free - 790990 MB;
    Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MS-1763
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hey guys, I'm trying to setup an RMI in java, after struggling with it for a long time I noticed that it's probably not my RMI that isn't working, but that there's something wrong in my networking.
    When I asked a friend outside of the city to ping me to test his ability to connect to me, he said the result was Destination Host Unreachable. After a lot of googling I got explained that this is likely a physical problem, which is weird because I have perfect internet acces. I've disabled all my firewalls, and googling this problem is nearly impossible because googling "Destination host unreachable" usually gives results of attempts to ping a local machine from another local machine, not getting pinged from outside of your network. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be ?
    I've tried:
    1. Restarting all network devices in my network.
    2. Changing IPv4 settings to a static IP.
    3. Activating Remote Access service (failed)
    4. Checking all physical cables

If I haven't given enough info be sure to ask me for more, I'm not exactly sure what kind of other info you'd need.
    Thanks in advance,

Boyen.

EDIT : guess it can't hurt to post my ipconfig/all here :
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MSI-Boyen
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : telenet.be

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-16-54-29-E2-72
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-16-54-29-E2-71

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    (NDIS 6.30)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-8A-5B-EC-83-AA
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a02:1810:cc14:eb00:315a:5af8:2495:f3af(P
    referred)
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:1810:cc14:eb00:95:48f5:3c9c:200e(Dep
    recated)
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:1810:cc14:eb00:b832:f9e7:86bf:c8fa(D
    eprecated)
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:1810:cc14:eb00:c594:6f4b:1ac1:af03(P
    referred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::315a:5af8:2495:f3af%4(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.186(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : zaterdag 20 december 2014 19:12:49
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : dinsdag 23 december 2014 00:52:52
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5e35:3bff:fe21:8a35%4
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 277645733
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-87-75-B6-44-8A-5B-EC-83-AA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2a02:1800:100::43:1
    2a02:1800:100::43:2
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
    telenet.be

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:1073:399d:ab3e:5efd(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1073:399d:ab3e:5efd%8(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 436207616
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-87-75-B6-44-8A-5B-EC-83-AA

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your ipconfig /all shows that you are running behind a router (PC has a non-rout-able private IP address) so what your friend is trying to do is to ping your router. It is probably set to not respond to pings. What I don't understand is the error he is getting; typically the response is "Request timed out." He is trying to ping your public IP address, right?

3. Boyenn

Boyenn Thread Starter

Yes, and how can I check that ? (btw typing in my default gateway in my browser apparantly also doesnt give me my router page).

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the antecedent of "that"? Based on you quoting my entire post (why?) apparently "that" refers to "He is trying to ping your public IP address." You check by asking him.

What error message do you get? You're talking about the IPv4 address, right?

5. Boyenn

Boyenn Thread Starter

I'm sorry, "that" referred to "your router is set o not respond to pings".

The error message I get when I try to connect to 192.168.0.1 is : webpage unavailable.

He did try to ping my public ip , and http://pingmeback.net gives the same error.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suspect you already know to check the router's config pages. :)

Consider that you may have a firewall (on your PC) blocking. Also, try a different browser, as sometimes a router is particular about which browser(s) it will talk with.

7. Boyenn

Boyenn Thread Starter

I had already tried Chrome, IE & firefox, neither of them giving any result.
    I'm not 100% sure about the naming of devices, but I'll try to give you an overview of my physical setup

I have a network device that gets internet from my ISP, that device has a wifi signal and transmits that to another device in my basement. that device then connects to a device in my room using a UTP cable that gives out another wifi signal for my phone, this device is then connected to my laptop using a UTP cable. It may be important to note that when I connect to these wifi networks on my phone , that they don't share the same "network" as in that they have different names etc.

8. bozebo

bozebo

Your router is blocking its admin page from being visible to WiFi devices (and WiFi connections from each other or the rest of the network seem to be isolated, another typical security measure that can affect some LAN things you may want to do in case you notice issues regarding that in the future). You are going to have to connect to it wired, at least to turn that protection off so you can access the admin page from your other devices.

I have to say, with your chain of devices you are going to have to deal with a few settings changes before you can get the RMI to work (or any inbound connection to your laptop), as you have a couple of devices acting as routers which will need settings adjusted.

9. Boyenn

Boyenn Thread Starter

Is there any way you could walk me through this?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice