1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

detecting from the bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dude044, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dude044

Dude044 Thread Starter

Hi All, My back up drive has stopped working, here is what happened

1) The drive was being detected in the bios and showing in My Computer, but it was not possible to access it and it caused a major slow down of xp.

2) Now its not showing in the bios or My Computer, but the drive is spinning , i am going to try a new ide cable , any other ideas would be appreciated before i try to reover the data (y)

Dude044

2. norton850

norton850

The new cable is a good idea. Is anything else on the same cable. If yes is that working?

3. Dude044

Dude044 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply norton ,my xp drive is on the the same ide cable

4. Dude044

Dude044 Thread Starter

ok here is the latest i finally had time to change the ide cable, storage drive is being detected in the bios but not showing in my comp or device manager,also my os takes ages to boot up with storage drive connected, any thoughts and ideas welcome. Dude044

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

For one thing sounds liuke storage drive has lost it's image file but also may be malfunctioning besides. Cxan you right click My Computer, choose manage , then disk storage and try formatting it, or are you worried about losing data on it? If you are worried about data you could boot into Recovery Console using XO cd and then run checkdisk.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice