1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Detecting harddrive..........none

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoEatToast, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoEatToast

GoEatToast Thread Starter

Help, I bought new memory, had to unplug the power (only) from my hard drive to get to it, installed the memory and returned the hard drive to its original place including the original power. After booting up it cant find my hard drive or my CD Rom drive but it can find my slave drive. The memory loaded fine but I changed back to my old memory just in case and I get the same error. It tries to detect my hard drive but finds none or the CD Rom. Any ideas?
    PS. I checked all the cables and they seem to be all connected and secure.

2. winbob

winbob

Are you sure that the MOBO end of the cable is securely plugged into the socket?

3. GoEatToast

Im not sure what a MOBO is but I will recheck all my connections again just to be sure............

4. GoEatToast

Checked all the cables and power supplies, they are all firmly secure but still getting the same error. It pauses while it is trying to detect the hard drive, stating press F4 to skip, then comes up with "none", same with the CD Rom drive but the slave hard drive still appears to be found by the computer..........any other suggestions? :(

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Jumpers still in place? Try different combinations to see what happens---for example, if you disconnect the drive that it can detect now, are either of the others detected? Try disconnecting the CD-ROM and see if the other drives are detected.

Possible that a cable got switched?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like the IDE cable is backwards?

7. batharoy

batharoy

Tell us how you have them set up on each cable, include the before new
    drive set-up and after new drive set-up.
    I'm thinking you probably have the jumpers on the back of the drives
    not set-up correctly.

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    It does sound like that a cable is on backwards. Check the motherboard and the hard drive, CD-ROM etc. The coloured side connects to pin 1 (look for a 1 on the motherbard and hard drive, probably very tiny :D )

9. GoEatToast

Thats the puzzling part: I didnt disconnect any cables when I installed the new memory. The only thing I disconnected was the power supply cable to the master hard drive because I couldnt pull the hard drive out with it connected. All the flat cables to everything were left alone and the jumpers werent touched. I have gone back, unplugged and plugged everything back in to make sure the connection is secure and that nothing was loosened during the memory installation process. I will have to try switching power cables around to make sure that the hard drive and cd rom cables havent gone bad even though the cd rom and hard drive are on two different power cords. Could that be possible? Should I take the power cord from the slave drive, which seems to be working, and plug it into the master hard drive, that would rule out the power being bad right?

10. geoffswann

geoffswann

try swapping power cables and if no go then check the hard drive power pins on the underside of the drive as sometimes the solder point can break away from the board while pulling off and pushing on power cables, I speak from experience...Geoff

11. GoEatToast

Ok. I have checked all the cables, they are where they are supposed to be and working fine and plugged in securely. I plugged the working slave drive cables (power and IDE) into the non working primary master hard drive and nothing, no hard drive and no CD Rom, it states None when booting up. So my next question is: if the hard drive crashed would it also make the CD Rom not work and not be recognized? Also the CD Rom isnt plugged into the same IDE hard drive cable. It has its own little cable plugged directly into the MOBO.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try booting with the power and ribbon cable connected to nothing but the CD-ROM. It should detect that OK. If the drive has a problem that is preventing anything on the IDE from being detected, that will show it.

But if the CD-ROM is not detected when all else is disconnected, then the problem lies with the BIOS/motherboard somewhere.

13. winbob

winbob

Toast,

You said, " Also the CD Rom isnt plugged into the same IDE hard drive cable. It has its own 'little cable' plugged directly into the MOBO."

I'm curious about the 'little cable'. Asssuming you do not have a Round EIDE cable, then this cable must either be a SATA cable or the really little audio cable. Can you say for sure which one it is???

14. GoEatToast

I cant say exactly what it is but I know that there are two cables coming from the cdrom, one is the power and the other one looks sort of like a power cable (it has colored wires) and plugs directly into the motherboard with a little connector. My main H/D has two cables to it: the power and the flat cable that plugs into the MOBO. The slave drive has the same, its own power and its own plug into the MOBO. The main hard drive and cdrom still arent working which makes me think that maybe I messed something up with the MOBO when installing the memory........what do you think? Is there anyway to test whether the master HD is still good? I cant hear it boot up or make a sound when the computer is started.

15. winbob

winbob

Toasty,

Based on your last post I think that the EIDE ribbon cable is NOT plugged into the CDROM drive at all...IT AIN'T GONNA WORK. Now that I have that out of my system ;^) ....I also believe that in your diagnostic switching around of drives, there is a good chance that drives you DO have on the SAME ribbon cable are not correctly jumpered to work together compatibly based on their positions on the cable.

To be honest I have lost track of which drives are where and attached to which controllers (1 or 2), etc. Likewise, I've lost track of how many HD's are involved, since you did at one point refer to a "slave" drive as tho you meant 2nd HD. So starting from scratch....

How many HD's are there? I'm reasonably sure that you only have 1 CD correct?

If there are 2 HD's and 1 CDROM, I myself would have the C: drive on eide controller 1, jumpered as Master or Single, whichever the drive calls for. On controller 2, I would have the 2nd HD jumpered as Master, and the CDROM jumpered as Slave. This is NOT the only configuration possible.

Remember that the Master or Single HAS TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE FIRST PLUG (of the pair) ON THE DRIVE END OF THE CABLE!

The CDROM will have 3 cables connected to it:
    1. EIDE Ribbon
    2. 12v Power Cable
    3. Audio output cable (this cable has nothing to do with bootup sounds)

Come back with more info and/or questions.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice