1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Detecting Harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bcoop, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bcoop

Bcoop Thread Starter

I am installing windows xp pro on to a 80 gig HDD. When I begin install the posting data does not show the drive. But when windows begins setup it formated and created a new partition. It then copied files and needed to restart computer. But when it restarts it doesn't show the hard drive and begins windows setup again as if I were going to begin installing it again. When I try and boot from HDD acts as if there is no drive attatched. I have set the HDD as single drive ont he jumpers. If I follow through on the setup again it says there is a partition with a operating system allready on the drive. I'm fetting frustrated! Any ideas?

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

If the machine isn't "seeing" the hard disk (POST), and you've ensured that things are connected/jumpered correctly, run the manufacturers diagnostics on the disk. These diagnostics (usually) "talk" directly to the hard disks logic board, bypassing the machines bios.

Disk Diagnostic Tools, major manufacturers;

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

3. bigbear

bigbear

It sounds like this drive already had an OS installed and you have created a partition and installed windows on it.
    You will have to reinstall windows and delete all existing partitions, once formatted you will be able to create new partitions if required

4. Bcoop

Bcoop Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. This hard drive was previously on my main computer as a storage drive. I replaced it with a larger drive. It was working fine when I removed it. I decided to place it in another slightly older computer that I had, as the only drive on that computer. I am going to give it to my sister as she can't afford a new computer right now. When I ran the XP setup I knew it would give me the option to delete the existing partition and create a new one, which I did. I then continued with the install and it copied all the files and then said it would need to restart the computer. Thats when the post showed no HDD and ran the windows setup again.
    When I first put the HDD drive in the computer and started it up it did not post that it "saw" the HDD. But during Windows setup it obviously "saw" it and gave me all the info on it and allowed me to delete and create. After rebooting and starting setup again it said there was allready an operating system on the drive. So I know that the computer saw the HDD during the setup but dosen't "see" it during bootup. When I tried Fdisk it said there were no devices present. So that's where I'm at know.

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

What is the make and model number of the hard disk in question?

(ie; WDC WD400BB = Western Digital 40 GB)

6. Bcoop

Bcoop Thread Starter

WDC WD800BB
    I ran their dignostic tool and it saw the drive and found no errors.

7. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

OK, so we can assume the hard disk is fine.

"When I begin install the posting data does not show the drive."

Your mainboards bios shouldn't have a problem with an 80GB disk, unless it's really old. You have to get the hard disk recognized at the machine level (bios/POST).

Double check your jumpers and the data cable orientation for pin 1.

Once the machine "has" the disk, (shows up in the POST) ensure you boot from the CDROM first, use the XP setup to remove all partitions and start from scratch.

8. Bcoop

Bcoop Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by "check the data cable orientation for pin 1"

9. bigbear

bigbear

He means make sure the ribbon is connected correctly. normally there is a notch in the connecter so it will only go in one way.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice