1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Detecting mirrored harddisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeyb2489, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

Hey guys!

I formatted my pc on a new harddisk and have issue detecting my previous mirrored raid harddisk.

It has the drive on the computer. But when I clicked it, it shows not accessible and permission denied.

I'm not sure what can I do to make the new windows system to access it.

Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, more info is needed. Did you break the array and use one of the drives for the windows install OR do you still have both drives connected to the system and are using a third drive for the system drive?

3. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

Hey!

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm using the 3rd drive (new harddisk) for the system.
    And I have both my previous mirrorer drive still connected in the pc but not able to access it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It appears from your pic that you are using an intel raid controller. Is this onboard raid ie part of the motherboard OR a real raid card? Is the system [windows] drive connected to the same controller?
    If both are correct and the onboard is set to raid and not ahci mode, did you install the raid driver?

5. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

I think it is part of the motherboard coz the cable are connected straight to the motherboard.

What do you mean by system drive connected to the same controller? What i see is that the drive is also connected to the same motherboard.

I have not install any raid yet. I can give it a try?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, to use onboard raid;
    1 Sata controller must be set to raid mode. This should already be in raid mode however it does not hurt to check in the bios
    2 The raid driver must be loaded in your operating system. This driver is downloaded from the support page for your motherboard

Did you change the config of the sata controller in the bios prior to installing windows?
    Note changing the sata mode after a windows install can make your windows unbootable.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  7. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

I don't think I configure any data controller in the bios when I install the window.

I'll try to check if the sata controller is changed to raid mode or not.
    And will try downloading the driver and install it. Is there I need to set for this driver?

Just in case my sata controller is not in raid mode.
    And if changing it to raid mode is the only option to access the harddrive.
    Does this mean I have to reformat the harddisk again?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, not absolutely necessary however it might be easier for you.
    You can change the mode of the controller without a clean install however it does require some steps and at least a reasonable level of skill.

9. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

I see... But just so you know..

The mirror harddisk was actually my previous system windows which has the black screen issue.

I install a new window in a new harddisk thinking I can still retrieve the data from my previous system but it didn't work.

So I'm assuming the reason why I can't access the harddisk might because the driver raid isn't install.

Am I getting this right? XD
    Sorry im a bit noob at this.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. As explained in post #6, you must have the controller set to raid mode [not ahci or legacy] AND the raid driver must be installed.
    What mode is selected for your sata controller at the present time?

11. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

Does this mean my sata controller is ahci?

Attached Files:

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That looks like raid mode. What happens when you enter the raid bios [not motherboard bios] The command for an intel type raid should Ctrl>I during POST. Read your manual to be sure of the command.

13. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

May I know how do I go to the raid bios?

The both wdc is the mirrored drive I had last time. One of it seems to have a warning sign. 0.o

Attached Files:

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How to enter the raid bios is in the previous post. The command should be ctl>I during POST however read your manual.

15. joeyb2489

joeyb2489 Thread Starter

Is this the raid bios?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice