1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Detecting Proxy Settings

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ian80, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ian80

ian80 Thread Starter

My explorer started loading pages very slowly today. When it first opens, it says detecting proxy settings at the bottom. I have DSL and have never really had it load pages this slow until today.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Contact your ISP's technical support!

I had the same trouble, restarting my computer, via the Start button, did the trick Every time.

In Control Panel; Internet Options; Connections tab, everything should be 'greyed out', Nothing in the Dial-up and virtual Private Network Settings box. In clicking the LAN Settings button, the Automatically detect settings box should be checked and all others cleared of check marks. Again, check with your ISP's technical support for more information but as I understand it you're on a LAN if you have DSL/ADSL.

Since you have DSL it's quick and a nice backup to get Netscape 6.2.3 from http://www.netscape.com. I've never had it do the detecting proxy settings thing, however I use Outlook Express for my e-mail client and leave both IE & OE as my default browser and email client -IE is much faster, since Outlook Express is vastly easier to block unwanted mail than Newtscape's pop mail feature is. I don't use any of Netscape's features like pop mail, instant messenging etc. I just use NS for browsing only in case I don't have time to restart my computer. The detecting proxy settings thing only happens when my DSL messes and needs restarted.

Be sure and have a firewall on your computer like Zone Alarm's newest free version!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90617