1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Detecting second IDE HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by step_hen, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. step_hen

step_hen Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I have a PC with a 1 TB Sata HDD. I had an old 320gb IDE HDD that I thought I may as well use, So I opened the case plugged in the hdd and while the case was open turned on the pc to test and everything was fine, the hdd was detected and I was able to access it.
    Put back on the cover turned on the pc and got suck at start up trying to find the IDE drive. Re opened the case checked cables and tried again...all good!

Now I left the PC for a while and now came back to it, once again I got stuck at the start up while the PC tries to detect any IDE drives. Only way I am able to get to windows is to press F12 to go to startup and select my Sata drive that has windows installed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    I didnt touch any of the pins on the IDE drive so I beleive its set to master. I am also running Windows 7.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it the only drive on the IDE cable or is there another drive connected to the same IDE cable? Also is the cable 40 wire or 80 wire? Needs to be 80 wire with the blue end connected to the motherboard and the black end connected to he master drive. Also check the jumper of the drive and verify that it is set to Master, you can also try the Cable Select/CS jumper position.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/934644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice