1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Detects wireless network, but wont connect?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Craig89, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Craig89

Craig89 Thread Starter

Hi all, just wondering if anybody might be able to help me with a problem I'm having with getting my new pc, running Windows 7, connected to my wireless network at home.

Basically, it is a desktop pc with a wireless adapter. I installed the drivers for it then it searched for wireless networks and found mine straight away (Sky, WPA protected), so I clicked connect, I was prompted to put my security key in, which I did and I made sure it was correct, but when I tried to connect it says "windows was unable to connect to Sky****", in network connections in control panel, the wireless connection is just stuck on "attempting to authenticate". My laptop, smartphone and PS3 have no problem connecting to the network.

I went into the router settings and disabled the security briefly and then it would connect to the network no problem. I then turned my smartphone into a WiFi hotspot (WPA protected), the pc found it, I put the security key in and it connected no problem.

Im not sure where to go now so if any one could help that would be great.

Cheers, Craig

Edit: I have just switched to wep security and I can connect using that way and security disabled, I just can't connect using WPA....? What could be causing this?

2. nschilling

nschilling

I have the same problem, but my laptop will connect, only my xbox and wireless blueray player wont.

3. Craig89

Craig89 Thread Starter

I have just moved the pc out of my room, to next to where the router is and it connected straight up so presumably WPA limits the signal more than wep? And my wireless adapter isn't good enough to pick up the signal?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    WPA does not limit the signal, but it may be more susceptible to wireless interference or a weak signal.

If your wireless adapter has a removable antenna make sure it is secure, and make sure the antenna is not hidden in a corner or behind the computer itself. In other words, make sure the path between router and adapter's antenna is as free of obstructions as possible.

5. Craig89

Craig89 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

If there are no differences in signal then it doesn't make sense why I can connect using no security or wep but can't connect using WPA until I move my pc closer to the router?

My wireless adapter doesn't have an antenna. Are there varying qualities of adapter? Could I maybe need a better one?

Cheers, Craig

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you see in my first sentence above, "it [WPA] may be more susceptible to wireless interference or a weak signal"?

Then you can detect a signal only within a few feet of the source. I'm guessing that you meant that the antenna is internal to the adapter, such as with a PCMCIA card.

Of course.

7. Craig89

Craig89 Thread Starter

Right I see. Sorry, yes it has no external antenna. What would be my possible options for resolving this then? A hi gain adapter with external antenna? Wireless repeater between the router and my pc?

Thanks again, Craig

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not knowing your adapter or exact environment it's hard to say. Moving the PC slightly to improve the signal? Attaching an external antenna? Moving the router slightly to improve the signal? An adapter with external antenna? An adapter with removable external antenna and replace the antenna with a hi-gain one? A hi-gain antenna for the router?

A Repeater is an option, but given the usual difficulty in getting it working I'd put that low on the list.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you use WEP with a passphase (key)? or WEP No authentication?

it looks like your computer cannot connect to the router with a security key... possibly being blocked by a firewall perhaps?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice