1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Determine case Motherboard Form Factors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have a Acer ASE380-UD440A case I would like to put a new mother board in.
    What motherboard form Factor should I look for?

If I have a computer case how can I determine its motherboard form
    factor. Is there way I can measure the case and then use a chart
    to figure out the form factor?
    Thank you,

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From the spec sheet I found it says it is a "mini tower"

I would really just get a new case rather than attempt to reuse this one. This is for a few reasons;

1 OEM type cases are often proprietary ie they are not made to industry standard size; they are made to the OEM's specs.

2 OEM cases often have marginal airflow/cooling.

3 Because of reason #1, standard mb may not fit correctly or pci slots may not line up. In addition even if the boards are the same size, nothing guarantees that the mounting holes in the board are going to line up with the case stand-offs.

3. Megabite

Megabite

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. If you were intending to replace the mb because it failed, you are going to have to add the cost of a new version of windows. You cannot reuse an oem type windows license. The oem type of windows is tied to the original hardware ie mb and cannot be moved to another system.

The only way around this is to purchase the replacement board from the system builder. Then you can reuse the windows lic you currently have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice