1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Determining network traffic on LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kevindv10, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevindv10

Kevindv10 Thread Starter

I've got a client who has his office in his home. Unfortunately, his two teenaged sons are also on the network with their own PC's. Last month there was over 200 GB's of traffic through the ISP. I've gone through the business end of the network and haven't found any viruses or spyware (due dilligence) and I know its those two little *$#^. Of course, the owner thinks the kids are the best thing since sliced bread, so he's pointing the finger at me. Soooo...I need to not only capture packets as they route through the server, but I need to determine the nature of the packets either via protocol or better yet application, and it would be nice to determine the IP they're coming from. I'm sure they're doing extensive file sharing, but other than getting onto their PC's I can't prove it.
    Can someone suggest an app that can provide this kind of detail? I've tried Ethereal but I either dont' understand the logs or they simply don't provide the info I need.

Thanks!

2. durant125

durant125

I remember seeing hardware that does this for you, I forget the name of it but I'll look around.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm at a loss as to why this client would think you were responsible for this issue. :confused:

If these are wired connections to all the stations, you can insert a hub (not a switch) in front of the router and connect all the machines to the hub. You can then have monitoring software on a machine that can see all the traffic through the hub.

I'm also totally at a loss why you can't look at their machines. If they have a network problem, and they want you to solve it, that's a mandatory step, right? After all, they might have a virus or other malware that is causing the issue.

4. Cosinus

Cosinus

The best professional technology to analyze client's traffic for an ISP is Netflow. It was developed originally by Cisco, but you don't need to use a Cisco router. You can install an opensource Netflow probe - a daemon that intercepts all network packets and creates detailed traffic statistics (e.g., ndsad, ipcad). This data could be analyzed then by using, e.g. Flowtools.
    Some ISPs prefer using Netflow to realize traffic usage based billing (like $0,10 per MByte) and they store this detailed traffic data within the month for the similar issues like resolving various subscribers' complaints. Some billing systems (e.g., UTM5) are able to collect Netflow data. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/579174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice