1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Determining Paper Sizing and Language

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AllusiveKitten, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AllusiveKitten

AllusiveKitten Thread Starter

Hi

I work for an international company and we have just updated our branding which has become very specific with the layouts of our documents.

I have updated the Normal.dotm to encompass all of the styles and layouts down to the design & colouring of tables and even the ribbon.

My IT department will be adding the custom Normal.dotm to the logon script of all the employees around the world, the trouble is, is that I work with A4 and English (Australian) and all of our documents will come out that way (which is perfect for me but not for someone in Vancouver or America).

Is it possible to have a single Normal.dotm being rolled out and somehow have all the particulars such as Language and Paper sizing update automatically to the users requirements?

Thank you for your assistance.

AK

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why not use workgroup templates for specific aspects of the company and only use them when needed? It can also be set by the IT department and will show up on everyone's computer when they want to create a new file. Your IT department should know how to do this, and there is no need to use a login script. If you want more details let me know.

3. AllusiveKitten

Hi Rockn
    Thank you for your suggestion, we do have all of our Templates in a Workgroup folder, however this is just the Normal.dotm where we are housing macros (which are used by other templates) and the styles of the business. It is a requirement that ALL documentation have the formatting so we want even the blank documents appearing to carry the styles.

In 2007 we used a Startup file which housed most of the information and it called a blank.dotx which held the styles and layout. The blank.dotx page size and language were based on the Normal.dotm on the loading machine. This no longer works in 2010 as it seems that the documents open in a different sequence and the code from the Startup file is not visible (another story and dont want to get into that mine field). So what I need now is to find a way for the Normal.dotm to look deeper into the system setup to see what language and papersize the system is running and change the new document accordingly.

I really hope that this isnt too confusing, thank you again for your assistance.

AK

4. Rockn

Rockn

Not at all confusing, although I have never had to help someone with this type of requirement. Let me look into it and if there is anything you can do with Group POlicy

5. AllusiveKitten

Thank you so much, I really hope that a way can be found for it to be done, I dont look forward to the thought of making a Normal.dotm for each office we have around the world....lol

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!