Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Determining the IP addresses of all connected devices on my network...

21K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I'm sure this is a simple thing but for some reason I'm having problems. I have two computers--one, a laptop using Vista, connects wirelessly to my Vonage VOIP router through a Trendnet TEW-637 access point and the other, a desktop using XP Pro is wired directly to the Vonage router. My Motorola Surfboard router feeds the Vonage router.

I need a program that will tell me the IP addresses of all these attached devices and identify them automatically. Running the ipconfig/all command is only giving me information about the box itself. Is there anything out there that will do this?

#5 ·
Is there an option in either of these programs that instructs the program to run in an "autoscan" mode for lack of a better term and list every address of everything connected to it and tell me by name what those devices are? I downloaded them both and it appears they want you to enter a range of addresses to scan. That's okay but I'd like for it to tell me the address of everything connected to it.

#6 ·
Well, you have to have a range of addresses to scan, you can't really expect any application to scan the whole 16 million possible IP addresses!

I'm not sure I understand the question.

#7 ·
<Grin>

I hear you John. No you understand the question but what if you don't know the range to specify? That's why I was hoping for a program that would autodetect connected equipment and tell me what it was and where it was. Ipconfig does this to a point but I'm not always certain what pieces of equipment the addresses are pointing to.

#8 ·
Well, you just need to look at the subnet mask. ;)

Let's assume you're running a typical home network and you have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and an IP addres of 192.168.1.103 for instance.

The range you'd be scanning would be 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255 based on the IP address and the subnet you're operating in.

#10 ·
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but after plugging in the parameters in SuperScan I couldn't make heads or tails out of its report. I got more information out of Ipconfig. The Superscan report didn't tell me anything useful. In fact there wasn't much to it. Guess I'll just try and figure it out with ipconfig.

I've attached a PDF of the report so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

#11 ·
I use an older version of SuperScan, I have to admit, I'm disappointed in version 4. It only finds one host on my machines as well, I'd try the other program that Terry mentioned, it has to work better. You could also find one of the many links for SuperScan 3, which is the version I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.