1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

determining when a desktop icon was created

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cspgsl, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cspgsl

cspgsl Thread Starter

Is there a way to determine when a desktop icon was created? I know if I right click and choose properties it gives me a date but can that be relied upon as gospel?

Reason I ask is that there is an icon on one of our user's desktop that says May 26th but that was a Saturday when the office was closed.

Thanks in advance

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Right click the icon, left click properties find created and you're there

3. cspgsl

cspgsl Thread Starter

thanks oz.

I see the created date. The question is; is that absolute or can it represent something else.

Problem I have is that on one of the public computers we have a Briefcase icon that someone placed there. The created date says May 26th but the office was closed that day. If it is indeed not possible that it is anything else, then I have a problem with an unauthorized someone accessing the office.

Hence the first post re: locking down the public computers so that Win Explorer cannot be accessed. I suspect that I would have to disable the Run command as well.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the computers are left turned-on while the office is closed it might be possible there was access from outside the office but this would have to be by someone that had administrative rights to make the icon.

Check the time and date for the computer it is possible that this could be off by a day or two thus allowing it to be made at a different day.

Also there should be log files of any access during the day and who it was that accessed the computers.

Sounds like you need a qualified IT tech at your office even if he is not there full time.

5. cspgsl

cspgsl Thread Starter

Yes, I shall look into this however, I need try to resolve this network access issue now on my own.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!