1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Deus Ex 2 Problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Litehawk, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Litehawk

Litehawk Thread Starter

Hello and if anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated
    Anyway I just got Deus Ex 2 Invisible War for my Laptop and I install it just fine but when I try to run it always crashes back to my desktop right when it is about to load the main menu, the movies before that are fine but right at that page it always crashes.
    Here are my laptops specs:
    502MB Ram
    DirectX 9.0
    Intel Pentium M Processor 1.73 GHz
    Windows XP
    I have tried the troubleshooting tips of reinstalling the game and defragging my computer.
    I have more than the required 600 MB of virtual memory
    These are the minimum and recommended system requirements for Deus Ex 2 if it helps

System Requirements

The minimum system requirements are as follows:

COMPUTER: IBM PC or 100% compatible
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft™ Windows 98SE/2000/XP (95/NT not supported)
    CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 1.3 GHz (or AMD Athlon ™ equivalent)
    RAM: 256Mb
    GRAPHICS: 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible 32 MB * (see below for support cards)
    SOUND: Windows 98SE/2000/XP compatible Sound card (100% DirectX 9.x compatible)
    CD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) CD-ROM drive
    HARD DRIVE: 2GB free disk space
    INPUT DEVICES: 100% Windows 98SE/2000/XP mouse and keyboard

The recommended system requirements are as follows:

CPU: Intel Pentium® 4 1.5Ghz (or AMD Athlon™ equivalent)
    RAM: 512 MB
    GRAPHICS: 100% DirectX® 9.0 compatible 3D Card w/ 64 MB
    SOUND: Windows 98SE/2000/XP compatible Sound card (100% DirectX® 9.x compatible)
    CD-ROM: Eight-speed (8x) CD-ROM drive or faster.
    HARD DRIVE: 2GB free disk space

* Supported Chipsets – nVidia GeForce 3Ti/4Ti/Fx (MX series not supported). Radeon 8500/9XXX or higher. (Pixel/Vertex shader required)

These are the possible problems that it lists for it crashing
    Deus Ex: Invisible War is crashing to the desktop with no error messages.

Several different things can cause this problem. Here's a list of the most common culprits associated with these crashes:

q Make sure the CD-ROM is clean (check for both scratches and smudges on the reading surface of the CD).

q Make sure the game has been installed properly.

q Make sure DirectX 9 has been installed properly.

q Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card and that they are DirectX 9 compatible.

q Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card and that they are DirectX 9 compatible.

q Make sure Virtual Memory is enabled on your system.

q Run Scandisk.

q Run Disk Defragmenter.

q Clean out old temp (.TMP) files from the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP or C:\WINx\TEMP directory on your hard drive (from Windows Explorer).

q Make sure you do not have any Anti-Virus utilities (like Norton's AntiVirus) running resident prior to playing Deus Ex: Invisible War.

q Make sure you do not have any third-party Windows memory management utilities (like Quarterdeck’s QEMM) running resident prior to playing Deus Ex: Invisible War.

q Make sure you do not have any 3rd party Windows disk caching utilities running resident prior to playing Deus Ex: Invisible War.

q Make sure you do not have Norton's Crash Protector running resident prior to playing Deus Ex: Invisible War.

q Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the game.

q Try exiting the game, rebooting your machine, and re-entering the game.

I do not have norton, I don't eve know what a third-party memory management utility is, and since I believe my laptop came with directx 9.0 already installed I would assume that my sound and graphics chips have it. If I am roughly 80% confident of those assertions.
    So umm if anyone could help it would be really really appreciated :D

2. Nurdle

Nurdle

I think the problem is with your onboard GFX card of your laptop.
    Most onboard GFX cards do not have full support for pixel and vertex shaders. These are needed for Deus EX2 to run. Videos will run fine but as soon as anything 3d is rendered that your card cannot handle it will crash.

You should install and run Everest (Link bellow) to find out what GFX card you have and what DirectX version it supports.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Just because you have DirectX 9.0c installed does not mean that your GFX card fully supports it.

Hope this helps you out

Nurdle

3. Litehawk

Litehawk Thread Starter

I downloaded Everest Home Edition,
    Is it the GPU you were actually referring to?
    Anyway the information for the Graphics Processor Properties is as follows.
    Integrated: Intel 82915GM Graphics Controller 0 ]

Graphics Processor Properties:
    Video Adapter Intel 82915GM Graphics Controller 0
    GPU Code Name Alviso-GM
    PCI Device 8086 / 2592
    Bus Type Integrated
    RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
    Pixel Pipelines 4
    TMU Per Pipeline 1
    Vertex Shaders 1 (v2.0)
    Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
    DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0

Graphics Processor Manufacturer:
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/graphics

Or am I looking at the wrong thing? If it is right, what do I do from here, and Thank you so very much for your help! And anyone else who is willing to look at this.

4. Nurdle

Nurdle

Thats the correct information needed. Have you tried running the game in Windows 2000 compatibilty mode. Apperantly it is suppossed to fix most of the crashing problems.
    Also was the game installed into the default location & have you patched it to latest version (v1.2)?

Anyway.......
    To get the game to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode go into the games install directory and right-click the games .exe file and select properties the select the compatibility tab and select Windows 2000 then apply. Also this should be done with any shortcut that the game places on you desktop.

I also found this list of compatible games for your GFX card. Deus EX: IW is not mentioned but may come in handy in the future for you..
    http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915gm/sb/CS-020153.htm

**Modded bit**
    I forgot to add have you tried updating your drivers?

5. Litehawk

Litehawk Thread Starter

Okay I patched the game, updated my driver, and updated my driver, it still crashes!!!! I think its pretty hopeless at this point.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice