1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Developing Accounting softwares

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by raghav03, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raghav03

raghav03 Thread Starter

I am a CA having basic knowledge of computing, i want to develop accounting softwares please let me know which programming langauges and other things i need to learn in oorder to develop accounting softwares of my own.

2. DaBeers

DaBeers

Welcome to the forums,

This is a neat project. While I understand your enthusiasm, your question is rather difficult and there are many things to consider. Some languages and technologies are better at some things than others are. They can be, and often are, combined for the best results.

Let me give you an anecdote. I wrote a little program to manage our private bank accounts. Since these are cash accounts, I didn't have to play with debits and credits much. In a database, I simply set a Boolean with the transaction to show if it was a deposit or withdraw, along with a unique ID, the date, and the amount. I can then sum the debits, and subtract the credits to get the balance on any account, and it works just fine. However, as the number of transactions grows, this process will begin to take a terribly long time as it must hit every record to perform the calculations.(This could be fixed with a periodic reconciliation.)

This process might work if I had an AS/400(very fast when reading large numbers of records) for the database, queried with SQL (because I hate RPG, the AS/400 language), and used, perhaps Java (to make it light-weight and multi-platform) for the interface, but I used VB and Access. This is a failure, despite it working now.

What I would do is think hard about how it will be used, then try to break it down into its major functions (database manipulation, form application abilities, rapid application development, web functionality, etc.), and the technical requirements of those functions. Once you can isolate the major functions, you can then look for the best way to achieve them. (There are other approaches.)

If it's just a small program to test your knowledge, VB (C# is on the rise a favorite for this in .Net) and Access will get it done, but to address a commercial application, a book on business systems development (i.e. Shelly-Cashmen: System Analysis and Design) might be just as useful as a book on a programming language. However, Shelly-Cashmen also writes programming language specific books that are fairly easy to self-teach from, although not always great at explaining deeper concepts.

I hope that helps set you on your way,

GL,

3. karlhaywood

karlhaywood Account Closed

DaBeers Sorry to but in but, why was it a failure in VB and Access? I use .Net with MySQL Quite alot but i also love playing with Access!

4. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

I'm interested to know as well, I've used VB alongside databases for the past 3 years and have found it to be the most effective way of handling databases due to its simplicity as a language and effectiveness handling object oriented programming..

Doctorzeus

5. DaBeers

DaBeers

Sorry my first post came off as vague. It was not my intention.
    The truth is; I also use VB and Access to a large degree of success. It's just that it's not always the best option.
    In my example, the time required to read every record in the database in order to generate a calculated field would increase until the program became unusable. However, the same process would perform longer, better, on an AS/400. This is anecdotal and he may never run into 'that' problem if he can block the data well.
    However, there are still issues with Access, like the lack of permission handling and the fact it is not case sensitive, that are not so easy to work around. My point was that he should try to sort these facts out before he begins such a potentially large project.

Hope this helps clarify.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!