Developing apps for mobile devices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TerryMate

Hello All,

I am a programmer and can learn quite fast. I use C# now and have used C, Pascal, Basic, etc before. I'm interested to develop apps for mobile phones. The question is there are quite a number of OS out there (BB, iOS5, Android, etc). Is there a one programming language or application tool that one can use to develop application for each and every mobile phone or is it something that one has to do separately for each mobile phone? I use Windows and would like to maintain using it an environment for my development. Please let me know what I need and how I should go about it?

Thanks

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
I haven't had an opportunity to do such development as yet (since I don't have such a phone) but I've been reading about the issues and so can tell what I've read.

No, you can't program once for all platforms. I haven't seen anything for Blackberry, but the IPhone and Android apps are critically different and written in different languages.

You can program Android from Windows or the free Linux OS. You need a Mac to program IPhone apps.

Android can be programmed in many languages, but Java is by far the best supported. IPhone development requires certain specific languages, ideally "objective C" but C and C++ are also allowed.

The android SDK is free, the Iphone one costs $99.

Beyond that, I guess you'll just have to resort to the programmer's best friend.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts