1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Developing apps for mobile devices

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by TerryMate, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryMate

TerryMate Thread Starter

Hello All,

I am a programmer and can learn quite fast. I use C# now and have used C, Pascal, Basic, etc before. I'm interested to develop apps for mobile phones. The question is there are quite a number of OS out there (BB, iOS5, Android, etc). Is there a one programming language or application tool that one can use to develop application for each and every mobile phone or is it something that one has to do separately for each mobile phone? I use Windows and would like to maintain using it an environment for my development. Please let me know what I need and how I should go about it?

Thanks

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I haven't had an opportunity to do such development as yet (since I don't have such a phone) but I've been reading about the issues and so can tell what I've read.

No, you can't program once for all platforms. I haven't seen anything for Blackberry, but the IPhone and Android apps are critically different and written in different languages.

You can program Android from Windows or the free Linux OS. You need a Mac to program IPhone apps.

Android can be programmed in many languages, but Java is by far the best supported. IPhone development requires certain specific languages, ideally "objective C" but C and C++ are also allowed.

The android SDK is free, the Iphone one costs $99.

Beyond that, I guess you'll just have to resort to the programmer's best friend.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice