1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Device Adapter' missing from Device Manager (XP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbforum29, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbforum29

dbforum29 Thread Starter

Hi all,

The "Display adapter" option is missing from my Device Manager. I did
    re-install the OEM driver but it didn't help. I am mystified as to how to get it
    to show up. I would like to install a new video card and I suspect I must
    first resolve this software problem (already tried the card with no luck).

I had made some tweaks to WinXP some months ago in an effort to optimize it.
    I don't remember what I did but I suspect that might have something to do
    with it. I have looked through Microsoft and HP/Compaq support sites with
    no luck. Any info I found seems to talk about using the Display Adapter to
    make changes, not how to revive it.

My stock video drivers are loaded and working. Again, I just don't know how
    to get Display Adapter to re-appear (and working) in Device Manager.

I ran a diagnostic app called AIDA32. Here are screen grabs of my:

* Windows Devices
    * Physical Devices
    * Device Resources
    * Windows Video

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this issue? Any and all
    suggestions are appreciated.

My System Specs:
    * WinXP Home Ed, SP2 installed
    * System: Compaq Presario SR1030NX
    * Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    * Processor Speed: 2166 MHz
    * BIOS: KM400 / 3.03
    * RAM: 512 MB
    * Video Controller: VIA/S3G UniChrome Graphics
    * Video Memory (on board): 64 MB

Cheers,

Mark

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The Everest (Aida32) report shows your integrated video adapter as being present and so does the fact that you have something on your screen. Don't worry too much about Device Manager in those circumstances. What went wrong when you tried to install the new card? Is the BIOS capable of being amended to cope with an AGP card?

3. dbforum29

dbforum29 Thread Starter

Saga,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Once I physically install the card and boot up, video is present. However, when I go to install the drivers from the install CD, the installer app says the card is not found and that the existing drivers are not compatible with the card. (nVidia-based card, system came with onboard nVidia graphics). While I have video, it is a very slow rate. Merely scrolling down any page is choppy so I know the card wasn't working properly. It is currently removed.

I also went into set-up (pressed F1 - is this what you meant by BIOS?) and the system was restarting and changed the display setting (forget the exact name) from "PCI" to "AGP/Onboard." Still no effect. I did notice that upon restart, the system would briefly flash the presence of the card in the upper left-hand corner just before the Compaq splash screen appears. I think that tells me the system is seeing it but not necessarily windows??

Cheers,

- Mark.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Try booting in to the Dafe Mode by tapping function 8 a few times before XP loads up. Then go Start>Run and type in msconfig. In the Boot.ini tab, tick the box that says /Basevideo. Apply, OK and that will force a restart. On reboot, tick the "don't show this message again" box and hit OK. You should now be in glaring 800 x 600 VGA display mode so you can check Device Manager one more time and if the onboard display adapter is there, delete it. If not, go to Control Panel>Display>Adapter and click remove.

Then try to reinstall your new drivers for the AGP card. At some stage, you'll need to reverse the /Basevideo command you altered in msconfig.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Generally, the display adapter won't show up, and drivers will not install properly, if you don't have your mainboard drivers installed. You may be missing the AGP to CPU bus driver.

There are some updated drivers, and an update for your BIOS, on this page, though I see no mainboard drivers specifically.

Does Everest give you any specific information on your chipset? Is it VIA?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...areCategory&lc=en&product=405451&cc=us&os=228

6. dbforum29

dbforum29 Thread Starter

Saga- Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try and report back.

Elvandil- Here is a screen grab of the chipset specs.

Cheers,

Mark

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a VIA chipset. I'd install the chipset drivers from VIA. The ones that come with the OS work fine, but not so well as the updated ones meant specifically for that chipset. The display adapter should appear after they are installed. They can easily be ununstalled if they don't do what you want them to.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/306996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice