1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device driver failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blessed1202, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blessed1202

blessed1202 Thread Starter

This morning I got on my computer and went about what I usually do. All of a sudden my mouse locked up and the screen went blank. It came back on in safe mode, said it recovered from a device driver failure and wanted me to restart. Since then, it has happened about 4 more times. I did a scan, checked to make sure all drivers were up to date, went to Microsoft and updated stuff there, did a virus scan and it is still doing it. I also went to PC Pitstop and scanned there. Can anyone tell me why this keeps doing this?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by looking at any changes or additions you made right before this started happening. Also, check the event logs and see if there's a clue there.

3. blessed1202

Ok, I checked the event log and this is what came up. Do you know what this means?

1/8/2003 8:43:00 AM Application Popup Information None 26 N/A BEST-IXTQ3JYHHA Application popup: Windows - System Error : Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality.
    1/8/2003 8:42:59 AM 3dfxvs Error None 108 N/A BEST-IXTQ3JYHHA The driver 3dfxvs for the display device \Device\Video1 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

I haven't done anything different or installed anything.

4. steve_b

steve_b

5. blessed1202

Went to the drivers site and got what I thought was an upgrade to my driver for the Voodoo. When I installed it, it seems it was the same as I had. What would cause it to loop like that if it wasn't the driver? BTW I've been on the computer all day today and it hasn't happened.

6. blessed1202

It did it to me again this morning :( Can anyone please tell me why this might be happening? Is my video card failing? Or is it something else?:confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice