1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

device driver

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lindablueyes, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindablueyes

Lindablueyes Thread Starter

Hi All: Ok here goes, I get this message when I log on the computer : cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows appl. Windows registry or system. ini file refers to this device file but the device nolonger exists. then it has C:progra~1\McAfee\McAfee~1\cyberkrn. vxd. Now I have no idea what this is help!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

For the forum to better able assist you you'll need to state what version of Windows you're running. Below are several ways to resolve this common startup error. A program is uninstalled incorrectly or, Windows malfunctions during that process, is the most common way this occurs.

1. Reinstall Mcaffee; Restart your computer; Then properly uninstall Mcaffee in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Restart your computer. Since McCheapie is a terible program IMHO, uninstall Mcaffee then get and install AVG.

Then get free AVG Anti-virus 6.0 (I use) from http://www.grisoft.com

If you're having problems with all this, reply back to my post. If you haven't got a Mcaffee CD to use there is a simple edit of a particular file (system.ini) I'll post later if needed. The above is the easiest way.

2. Please see Click Here the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article on this subject.

3. Lindablueyes

Hi styxx, Thanks for your reply, and I am running Windows 98.. I will try your suggestion.. Thanks again. Lindablueyes

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Linda:

If you decide to uninstall McAfee VirusScan :mad: (n) , you need to completely remove it from your computer. Just uninstalling it won't do it. I have the steps posted here.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

5. Lindablueyes

Hi Frank, I just wanted to Thank You for your input and your website!!!!! I enjoyed the pics and ALL the TIPS you have given in your site!! I understood it all and it seems like its easy to do when you follow your steps.. It soes get complicated when your a new user of the computer! Thanks again... I am just wondering if I need to delete Mcafee and if thats the problem? Anyway, Thanks again Frank...

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Linda:

Thanks for the compliment about my site. :)

I'm not going to advise you to uninstall McAfee VirusScan. It's a decision that you alone are going to have to make. I uninstalled it a long time ago because I found it to be a memory hog and very problematic. (n) I've been using eTrust EZ Antivirus for the past 2 years and have had no problems with it. (y)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice