1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

\device\ide\ideport0 did not respond within the timeout period

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kbk, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbk

kbk Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude CPiA 366 laptop that intermittently freezes or blue screens. I updated the system BIOS and ran scandisk. The machine is currently stable but I am noticing the following system event viewer error which keeps reoccuring:

"the device, \device\ide\ideport0, did not respond within the timeout period"

This is Event ID 9, Source Atapi.

Micro$oft has an article in its' knowledge base regarding this which point to outdated hardware or firmware. Is the hard drive going bad on this machine? Please advise.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It could be. This error sometimes appears when a drive or controller is having problems.

Try getting a diagnostic program that has drive testing.

3. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

This is a link to where you can get a free tester for your Hard drive's state of health

http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/

Download the file, make the boot floppy and boot the machine with it to run the diagnostics. It won't work if your HD is NTFS though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice