1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device Manager/CD Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gladstone, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gladstone

gladstone Thread Starter

Right, Ive got a nasty problem with my CD/DVD drive/s.

As you can see in the attachment, the drive labelled.

"VOBID Instant Drive CD SCSI CdRom Device" is malfunctioning. Now I believe that is related to the Pinnacle Studios Instant CD/DVD SE software.

There is no Vista patch with my version of that software, so I assume its a conflict with Vista, It also started after installing Vista.

I've tried disabling and uninstalling this device, but upon restart it returns. I tried uninstalling the Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD software, but I got a blue screen half way through uninstall. So then I just deleted it manually from my hard-drive, and used CCleaner to clean up the registry. Still, that damn drive will not go away.

I wouldn't mind but whenever I put a DVD/CD into my drive and navigate to My Computer, it crashes. I created a virtual drive using Alcohol120%, mounted a file on it, and when I naviagated to My Computer it also crashed.

The only time I can actually go to "My Computer" is when ive disabled that device, but as soon as I restart, it comes back. Its really starting to pi$$ me off.

How the hell can I get rid of it?!

Thanks for reading that rather long story.

Attached Files:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you uninstall it is that from Device Manager? Have you tried disabling the idecontroller set for it? It's an off the wall suggestion but perhaps a rest of the bios to ultimate defaults would remove whatever association is in there.
    The only other thing I can think of is to do a "find" in the registry for any reference to it and then delete it.

3. gladstone

gladstone Thread Starter

Erm, could you explain how to go about doing that? ^_^

I'll try the registry thing soon.

Thanks for your help.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

In Device Manager, ide controllers, one is for that cd drive you are trying to elminate.

5. gladstone

gladstone Thread Starter

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I haven't a clue how many drives you have open each one of the drives in ide controllers and see if one is the one in question. Appears though that 0 and 1 would be a hard drive and a burner or cd drive.
    Have you tried uninstalling the device in safe mode?
    The other thing is have you looked to see if Pinnacle is in startup leftover by chance (Run,msconfig,ok,startup) and can be unchecked. You can also download my favorite tool and check the first screen for registry to see if there are any vestages of Pinnacle left you can easily remove...power tools (www.jv16.org) is shareware and fully functional in trial version.

7. Menace_19st

Menace_19st

hi i have a similar problem with my cd/dvd drive its a Slimtype DVDRW SOSW-852S and it seems to have malfuntioned. i tried updating and rolling back the drivers but nothing. ive also uninstalled and reinstalled but still same problem when i click into device manager properties this is what it shows...Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).....what do i do now? anything will help ty

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice