1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device Manager Ghosts

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by larryfretwell, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryfretwell

larryfretwell Thread Starter

Win98se/IE5.5/eMachines-eTower-533id/IntelCeleron/15GB/192MB/8xDVD/3Dagp/Cable

Hello,

Due to an unexplained, extreme slowdown in my Win98 processing speed (for about the 10th time), I have been attempting to remove ghosts from most of my devices in Device Manager (some have two or three ghosts). It works temporarily but, sooner or later, they come back. I am running as slowly as I did with my old 133Mhz Pentium computer running Win95. My main problem is that I've managed to lose my floppy disk drive in Device Manager (it still works, however :p ). It is now a big yellow question mark and no matter what I do, Windows fails to reload it. When I remove the question mark from Device Manager in Safemode and restart, Windows still can't deal with the unknown device. I have even shut down, disconnected the drive, restarted, then shut down again and reconnected the drive, then restarted Windows in Safemode, but the drive still isn't recognizable. I am getting the DOS Compatibility Mode messages, also, further reducing my speed. I feel that I have a missing, or corrupt driver somewhere in the system, but System File Checker reports no problems. As best as I can remember, the drive didn't come with a manufacturer's diskette (and I am not bad about misplacing that kind of thing). Do I need to get the drivers from my CAB files, or what? If so, what would I look for? This is really ridiculous, but wait till you see the next question!

When I try to remove the Primary and Secondary IDE Controllers and their ghosts from the Hard Disk Controllers category, WonderWindows tells me that they are part of a multi-device component which has to be removed first, BUT THEY DON'T IDENTIFY IT! Catch 22! Do I look like a Windows designer, programmer, troubleshooter, or repairman? Did I pay good money for my software in order to avoid constantly re-inventing Windows? The KnowledgeBoard? Hahahaha (hysterically)! Please, how do I remove this crap from my Device Manager?

I have been dealing with this problem for close to two years. eMush-ines' Customer/Tech Support is the worst in the universe -- no help, period. I don't mess with the Operating System at all, other than loading normal software (no tweaking, ever). This problem comes back almost immediately after formatting. I have plenty of RAM and my hard disk is only about 30% full. Scandisk and Defrag have very little effect with respect to my speed. eMachines replaced my installation disk (it only took 5 months to get it in the mail) but I have identical problems with the new one. I think maybe some of the original device drivers were already so old that they could be causing some problems when I install the latest releases of some of the software I use. eMachines has grossly re-configured the Windows software to allow for their incredibly old device drivers whose manufacturers are almost totally UNDOCUMENTED, making driver updates virtually impossible! I uninstalled WordPerfect Office 2000, Norton SystemWorks 2001 and Corel Photohouse 5 and experienced a good increase in speed, but it is still not fully normal. But duh... I really would like to use my expensive software. If you are familiar with these problems, PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks for letting me vent... I needed it :). Uh ... I do have one last question. Would a double-barreled shotgun take out both Windows and eMachines, but leave my machine intact for LINUX :p? Thanks again.

Larry Fretwell

2. brianF

brianF

To remove the primary and secondary ide controllers you will need to remove the parent device which generally is the pci bus mastering driver

3. thegeezer

thegeezer

I WOULD WIPE EVERTHING OFF AND INSTALL WIN2000
    THIS WILL SOLVE IT
    I BET YOU?

TELL ME HOW YOU SORTED THE PROBLEM ICQ44178778

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice