1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device Manager showing problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by topsyturvey, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topsyturvey

topsyturvey Thread Starter

Happy holidays.
    I recently had my pc formatted.Sound was working in the shop,but not here at home.
    In the "device manager" I have a yellow exclamation mark under "SCSI controllers".
    DTC3131x/DTC3151xSCSI host adapter.
    Is this for my sound? It says as follows...
    "this device is either not present,not working properly,or does not have all drivers installed."
    I have tried to "upgrade driver". but it says the best one is already in use.

Also...I used to have a volume icon in my system tray before it went into the shop.Now I don't.I also cannot find it to put it back.
    Any help would be appreciated. Merry Xmas
    Topsy Turvey:confused: :rolleyes:

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hin there and Merry Xmas looks like your sound drivers have gone topsy turvy too pay a visit here www.driverguide.com and you will probably get some .....

3. topsyturvey

Hi telecom69: Thanks for replying to my post.I was checking things out for device manager and I found
    that the "SCSI" above with the exclamation was for my scanner.I tried uninstalling and intalling a few times,with no luck.In the start/programs...all that's there for the scanner is"help" and "uninstall".It won't let me open it from there.
    As for my "Creative PCI" (sound)in the device manager...it says all devices are working properly. So I'm not sure where to go from here.The speakers are ok.Is there any way to get the volume icon onto my task bar? Thanks again. To you and all other members,I'd like to extend best wishes during the holidays and into the new year. topsy Turvey;)

4. fireboy69

fireboy69

I'm not sure what OS you're running, but on 98SE you go to Control Panel>Multimedia. Click on the audio tab, then check the box that says show volume control on Taskbar.

5. telecom69

Hi topsyturvey ...All I can tell you is that I had a very similar experience after a reinstallation of windows 95,I lost my speaker icon along with the sound and it told me everything was ok too,but after re-installing the sound drivers back came the sound along with the speaker icon in the system tray ...try it ...best of luck ...failing that you need a proper tech guy or gal...Bob

6. rugrat

rugrat

Fireboy69 is correct, once you do that reboot then double click the sound icon and ensure none of the controls have the mute box checked.

7. topsyturvey

telecom69,rugrat and fireboy.Thanks to all of you for your imput.I got my sound icon back on the task bar.Eveything appears to be ok,but without the sound.I will try reinstalling my "Win/98"
    One problem I had a while back,was trying to install my internet connection,the first time I got my PC back from the shop.It kept asking me to put in the "Win/98 SE".Well...I didn't have the second edtion disk. Found out a few days later the shop had installed the second edition...without telling me.Or without giving me another disk.That's where this problem started.I did have a few other problems in which I think (hope) they corrected though.I had to go back to the shop and ask them to reinstall my own Win/98.What a pain!
    I was just looking in the "add and remove".There is no Win/98 in there to uninstall.Does this not go automaticly there whenever something such as windows is installed? Even when they put the second editon on this...it wasn't in there either.
    Anyway...I will try and reinstall Win/98 and see what happens. Thanks again. Topsy Turvey
    ps: I did get a "pc book for idiots" for xmas.I'm determined to learn what makes the inside of these things tick.

8. telecom69

Well the very best of luck my friend in your quest to find out how these things work its a long hard road and Im full of admiration for the tech guys on this site they are without doubt the best on the net and I look forward to the day that you become one of them good luck with the remaining probs and lets know it all ends up ...Bob

9. telecom69

It wont be in add/remove it will be in its own folder somewhere and you will have to search for it .........

10. topsyturvey

Just a quick update for those who have been helping me with my PC problems... with sound.
    I have been having a few glitches while trying to get my scanner going.It's not sticking in my system and I was having trouble at Windows startup...so I'm going to wait till the new year to solve,so we can run this one legged piece of metal during the holidays.I will let you know when this is solved.Or I will let you know the address of the scrap yard where it will be located.
    Happy New Year to All
    Topsy Turvey

11. topsyturvey

Addressed to telecom69,fireboy,rugrat
    Where to begin???
    First let me start by thanking the above members,for their responses.
    I was able to get the sound working.Are you ready for this...When I got my modem back from the shop the first time,they moved my sound card up further than where it was before. When I checked, I had the jacks in the wrong spot.I should have know better but was stressed and tired at the time.
    Sound works good now.
    I was able to download a Photo Plus to get my scanner working.
    As for the "Memory failure" and blue fatal screens...I had a bad 64 RAM(which was replaced)
    As you don't know I couldn't get on the internet(but for a brief time over the holidays).That was just dial-up to.
    Then took it back to the shop.After getting it back I couldn't get high speed or a simple dial-up
    working.Tried many things with the help of my "Idiot Book"for PC's.One tech support for the server had me do a test with my "Ethernet" card in dos...and found that the IRQ had a (0) under it in the BIOS.That's when I knew someone had made changes in there.Got my trusty book out again. I went to SETUP and did F7 (old defaults) to a number of them and saved.Booted up and all was well again.Connected to internet right away.Everything is now as it should be.
    I would have thought that having my hard drive formatted 3 times in 3 weeks (which I don't think was needed)except for space...you'd think one of these people would have found this problem.Then again maybe it(IRQ)(0) was changed and they got side tracked with other things.
    I sure don't want to lay blame...and with different people working on it/hard to pinpoint anyway.Things got a little expensive...but the least expensive and most helpful, was the "Complete Idiot's Guide" I have learned a lot since xmas and will continue to.After we got up and running again...my better half called me the "idiot king"
    A:rolleyes: for being able to fix the problem.
    My final thought would be for any of you who don't have the book...pick one up for the wealth of information it can give you.
    But also... these members on here are great and I'll continue to be here.There still are better answers in numbers here... than one book with one opion.
    This site with the moderators and members are great.Maybe some day I can upgrade my status to senior member as I collect more knowledge...then in turn I can help others.
    Thanks to all for your imput.Grately appreciated.
    Topsy Turvey

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice