1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device manager shows 2 9800 pros

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silentr, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silentr

silentr Thread Starter

hey, i found this odd my pc in the hardware manager thing says Radeon 9800 pro And beneath it says Radeon 9800 pro Secondary. Now this is just a shot in the dark but could the pc think there is 2 installed and could that be causing some of my random reboots? my pc works when it wants i get a bunch of hassle with it all new parts and i cant figure out the problem quite this is just one of the things that i ponder if u can think of anything let me kno. im also going to upgrade my psu just because i have extremely low amps on the 12v rail and every forums answer is "upgrade psu" so y not. ok thanks again. give me some thoughts!

2. norton850

norton850

Random reboot are tough to solve. It is normal, however, to have the two listings for the 9800.

No pattern at all with the reboots?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is normal [the two display adapters] with modern ati cards.

Random reboots can be a little difficult to track down. The first thing I would do is try and find out if it is software or hardware related. Restart the system in safe mode. Now run an app that will stress the system like prime95 or some other burn in app. If it runs for hours in safe mode running prime95, you most likely have a software problem. If it restarts in safe mode, you have a hardware problem. Once you know where to look, the problem becomes easier to fix.

Some other things you can do.

Set the system to not reboot on errors. This will leave a bsod along with the error code.

Check your temps in the bios. If the system is running too hot, it will lead to problems.

Do check your ps. If it is one of those $25 500W units, do yourself a favor and toss it. Cheap ps cause all types of problems.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

What operating system? XP?

5. silentr

silentr Thread Starter

windows xp pro sp2

6. ~Candy~

Did this always happen? Or after the SP2 update?

7. silentr

silentr Thread Starter

it happened after sp2 but a long time after about 2 weeks if not more...

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried safe mode or checked system temps yet?

9. silentr

silentr Thread Starter

not yet not sure how to start in safe mode ....havent started looking for manual....

10. ~Candy~

Safemode, probably the DEL key when the system is starting up.

11. silentr

silentr Thread Starter

ok i got the system to run in safe mode not sure how or where to get the program prime95....im on the system now and its running fine i looked in my error log and found tons of errors for cd device 0 and hd 0 but ill still run that program if u can give me a site or some place to dl it. thanks.

12. ~Candy~

Any progress?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/293001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice