1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device Manager shows IDE Optical Drives as SCSI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmeit, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmeit

jmeit Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just built a new computer and I had my first problem. I'm relatively advanced with computers but this one is over my head.
    Here it is:
    I have one optical drive. It's a Pioneer DVR-112DBK. It's IDE and set to Master. All other drives are HDD (and they are all SATA). The main issue i'm having is that i can't boot into linux live cd. I've tried 2 versions of Slax and 2 versions of Knoppix. These CDs work perfectly in my other computers. They load up to a point and then give me a 'limited kernel'. Back|Track 2 was kind enough to tell me that it may be because i have unsupported hardware such as SCSI or PCMCIA-CDrom). That led me to look in my Device Manager. There i saw that windows sees the drive as SCSI. Another odd thing is that the virtual drive i created in Alcohol 120% is also listed as SCSI. The cable i used to plug it in to my mobo was definitely IDE. My Bios sees it as IDE in the 'boot device priority' menu. I tried disabling the 'SCSI/RAID host controller' in my device manager and it disabled the dvd drive. i suppose the windows install disk supports scsi because that worked no problem. I think that this issue is also keeping me from being able to complete a burn of a Dual-layer DVD. I've looked all over the net for answers and can't find any. please help me. Any advice is welcome.
    I think i've put everything in here but if you need anymore information from me, just ask.
    THANK YOU in advance!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is just a guess on my part however later intel chipset boards do not really support ide. The ide is supported through the jmicron controller and it would be listed as a scsi device.

Other boards without the jmicron use a bridge to connect through a sata port. Your board uses the jmicron controller so no bridge.

3. jmeit

jmeit Thread Starter

so what do you suggest i do? IDE to SATA adapter maybe?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. If I read your post correctly the only problem is that it cannot boot into linux. In order to boot to linux, you must load whatever linux driver that will enable the optical drive. Have you checked for any bios updates OR any firmware updates for your drive?

There were a lot of problems with the 965 chipset and loading the os. It has been mostly straightened out with bios updates. I have not worked on a p35 chipset board yet so I really do not know.

5. jmeit

jmeit Thread Starter

the chipset is a G33. my optical drive is all up to date with drivers.

6. jmeit

jmeit Thread Starter

i think i'm just gonna return my IDE drive for a SATA. but if anyone can save me the trip and possibly the money, please jump in.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before doing so you might want to make sure linux and read your sata controller. It it does not have drivers for your sata, that will not work either.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice