1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Device manager shows: PCI PARALLEL CONTROLLER with that yellow mark ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlw317, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a computer with win98 upgrade loaded onto it. In the device manager....it shows a device it can't find to load...it's:
    PCI PARALLEL CONTROLLER.

I don't know what that is or where to find it so I can load the drivers and get rid of that yellow mark.

Can you help me...thanks.

2. slipe

slipe

Do you have a second parallel connection that you installed?

3. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

I don't know what a parallel connection is??? ....so i don't know if i did or not. How can i tell if i have or not?

4. slipe

slipe

There is a connector on the back of your computer for a printer cable. It is a large cable with a large connector. There is a picture of the connector under DB25: http://www.computerhope.com/help/serial.htm

Some older equipment like scanners and tape back-ups also used the parallel cable. The parallel doesn’t piggyback very well so some people add another port. It would be a PCI or ISA card with a connector showing on the back.

Unless you bought the computer used you would almost certainly know if you added an extra parallel port. The message you are getting usually means that such a card is not installed with proper drivers.

5. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

I have only three things pluged into the back of my computer.

1. Mouse which i did buy used.....and it is connected to something that looked more like that DB9 pic on above link. ( Note )...
    On Top of this mouse it says.....Microsoft, and on the back it says.....Serial-PS/2 Compatible Mouse.

2. I have a used monitor which i bought and it is a WEN. It doesn't look like its connected to the big port, or DB25.

3. I have the keyboard connected....and it seems to work find. It is connected to a circle on the back.. ( Now...i have a CD for the keyboard i have not downloaded into the computer called...2D/3D
    Smart Keyboard PC98 Multimedia Design ). I just figured the keyboard was working so why down load it.

I have no printer connected or speakers.

I hope this helps you.

6. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

I might also add my used mouse doesn't work that great....the arrow jumps around alot. Could this be something with the
    PCI Parallel Controller thing showing on my device manager???

Not real worried about mouse...i can get a new one if need be....
    but if it can be fixed easy, that would be nice also.

**** I am more worried about the ( PCI Parallel Controller ) thing showing up in my device manager with the yellow mark right now
    then anything else*****

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What does it say the error is? IRQ conflict?

Maybe post your IRQs.....

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.....

If you don't have a printer connected, you could just remove it from the device manager, restart the computer, and if it finds it again, perhaps it will pick up the correct settings.

8. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

Here is what you ask me to do:

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 ALS100+ Logical Device 0 Wave Audio Device
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 ALS100+ Logical Device 3 External Midi (MPU401) Device
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 MaxTech XPVS336I-RCPI Speakerphone Fax Modem
    12 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    12 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

I am trying the removal of printer and will let you know what happens.

9. ~Candy~

Nothing is out of line there......

10. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

I tried romoval of the printer and it just came back. The problem
    is listed under " Other Devices" ....All it says is: PCI Parallel Controller. ....nothing else!

I tried to update my drivers to my mouse... As listed some where
    above. I tried installing the drivers that the computer would let me choose! I choosed: Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse.

It came back and said it was not compatible, but did i want to use any way...I say yes!

I then removed the PCI Parallel Controller from the device manager and rebooted the computer.

It came back on now with the yellow mark ...ON THE MOUSE and
    THE YELLOW MARK WAS GONE FROM : PCI Parallel Controller???

I now changed things back to where they were at the start:
    PCI Parallel Controller has the yellow mark again and mouse is showing: Standard Mouse ( No yellow mark)

I am not sure what to do.....is my mouse causing this???

11. ~Candy~

Hmmm, your mouse is missing from that list.....are you able to connect it using a PS/2 port? Or do you not have that option, only serial?

12. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

I can only connect with serial on the mouse.

13. slipe

slipe

I know we all like to keep things tidy, but you have no printer connected and everything is working as I understand it. A PCI Parallel Controller almost certainly has nothing to do with your serial mouse.

Have you cleaned the mouse recently. There are two long rollers and a small roller that holds pressure against the ball. They get cruddy and need to be cleaned off from time to time. I just use my fingernail but some folks make a production out of it – just don’t use rubbing alcohol.

If the LPT port in device manager is OK it means you can add a printer to the standard printer port. I would just ignore the indication if everything is working.

14. ~Candy~

Why don't you try going to that PCI device and selecting 'update drivers' and see if you can't get it to locate some other mouse driver....should be able to use the standard microsoft driver.

15. dlw317

dlw317 Thread Starter

Ok...I will ignore it. Everything is working...i just thought those yellow marks meant trouble.

Thanks for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/68024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice