1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

device manager shows yellow Question marks under other devices

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tjbmt1234, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

My computer is staring in black screen where it gives you options to start windows normally or in safe mode. I looked in device manger and it shows yellow ? marks under other devices next to coprocessor, other PCI bridge device, SMBUS controller, and video controller. How do I fix these?

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

I suspect you will need to install your motherboards chipset drivers, if you dont have them on a disk then download them from the motherboard makers support site.

3. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

thanks so much for the quick reply. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, not for sure how to find out who "motherboard makers support site is"? I am transcriptionist and can type like a demon, LOL, but clueless to the "tech end" of my computer.

4. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

PS: This is a gateway laptop that had Vista on it. I took it to a tech and had him put XP on it. After that the computer started shutting down and would not stay on. Let the laptop sit for literally months and recently got it back out. It is staying on now. I suspect the "Motherboard" is not the same possibly since he replaced that operating system. But if common sense rings true, he should not have had to replace mother board or tinker with it to put new operating system on?? not for sure. just more info to consider...

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can download and run the TechGuy System Info utility here: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe and paste the log it creates here. It should reveal the motherboard and model number needed to find drivers for it.

6. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology MK-38, x86 Family 15 Model 76 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 958 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 103704 MB;
    Motherboard: GATEWAY , , REFERENCE, V761MBN3074MZC510X
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

7. Frank4d

The reference number didn't turn up anything, but it looks like an original Gateway motherboard. Do you know the model number for the laptop?

8. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

model number is MT 3421
    Serial Number is N1976 M10 09474
    Modem info is A05-043001

9. Frank4d

Gateway doesn't list any drivers for XP on their website, so we have do do things the hard way...

Gatway shows the laptop has an NVidia C51MV chipset and 6100 graphics, so If the laptop has a working internet connection head over to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and use Option 2 to automatically find motherboard and graphics drivers (you need both).

If that doesn't work, of if the laptop doesn't have a working internet connection, try this link for the motherboard drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html

10. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

okay went to site and did option 2 it said "could not find" it told me to go to option 1 and do manually. I went to option one and it said it could not find "graphic drivers". But.... good news it did find motherboard drivers. I downloaded that and some armor firewall thing that is kind of annoying, lol, but we are down to two yellow question marks now in device manager. WHoohoo. The two remaining yellow question marks are coprocessor and video controller. What next? :)

11. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

PS found another model number on the lap top located in a different area. IT is W340UA. So there is two model numbers in different spots on back of lap top.
    One is the MT3421 I already gave you and one is the one mentioned above. Does that help with maybe possibly locating "graphic drivers"?

12. Frank4d

13. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

before i try that real quick, because the lap top is now an xp is it okay to use that first one you listed there being for a vistal and all?

14. tjbmt1234

tjbmt1234 Thread Starter

okay tried both of those and neither worked... it said nivdia could not find drivers for current hardware...

15. Frank4d

Hmm...

In Device Manager double click the entry for the unknown graphics card device, then the Details tab. In the Property dropdown menu choose hardware IDs. It should show a text string similar to PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9710&SUBSYS_75491462&REV_00/ That should help us find a driver for the graphics adapter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice