Device Not Configured Correctly (Router)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

natobean19

Hi all,

I'm new here and not real experienced with computer hardware and such. I'm having issues with my router according to my security scan. It keeps telling me that it's not configured correctly. The main computer in the house (desktop) is fine when I run a security scan, it's just this laptop specifically. I've looked online for info and I keep getting the same answer, update the driver. I don't even see the router listed under my Device Manager. Under Network Adapters I see a Realtek device (which I updated on the off chance this was it), but the router I have is a ZyXel PK5001Z. I tried to find info on the CenturyLink site, but they're pretty useless as well. I was thinking of possibly uninstalling the router (if I can ever find it) and then reinstalling it, but I'm not sure how difficult this would be. Could anyone point me in the right direction on what I could do to resolve this issue?

Also, as a note, I just installed Windows 10. I was using Windows 8.1 and I had the same problem, so I'm not thinking it is an update issue. Thanks in advance!!

natobean19

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Routers don't appear in Device Manager, only the Network Adapter in the computer does.

Does the Internet work ok on the laptop ? What security scan software is giving you that message ?

That's my old router......very familiar with it.

First thing I would do is reboot the router, unplug it for 2 minutes and the plug it back in. If that doesn't work then try a factory reset of the router by using a paper clip (straightened) and insert in tiny hole on back of unit and push and hold button down until the router reboots. After doing this you'll need to reset up your security settings. Then check for a firmware update by logging into the routers web-based page. Once in that web page go to updates on the left hand side under the utilities tab.

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5001z.html

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5001z-adv-admin-username-and-password.html

natobean19

In re: to the first reply, yes the internet has worked fine, no problems. It is Avast that is giving me the warning.

In re: to the second reply, I've done the reset and everything is still the same (had issues with Windows 10 download). I will take a look at the links though and see what happens. Thx.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Since your Internet works ok I suspect you can ignore the message but to be sure please post the exact message Avast is giving you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online