Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

devices connect to wifi but puter has no internet connection

946 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GoingCrazy111 
#1 ·
I have a netgear router(maybe my first problem). My phone and kindle get a great wifi signal but the computer itself has zero signal and cant connect to the internet. Can anyone please help????

#2 ·
If the computer is running Windows ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If your only email accounts are free (Hotmail, gmail, etc.) try this direct link. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

#3 ·
Hey there,

I just joined today as a result of my own internet issues and I may have something for you to try, TimGrimm!

When this situation has happened for me or my friends in the past (everything else connects to WiFi fine except for one computer), most of the time it has been because the wireless internet switch is off or the wireless internet is not enabled.

For my HP laptop, my wireless on/off option is a button in my F12 button. There is a small red light when it is off and a blue one when it is turned on. Some other laptop computers, such as a Lenovo, may have a manual switch on the side or the front of the laptop.

These buttons and switches can be turned off without noticing them and it's made for several "duh" moments in my life :D
Also, on a Windows laptop or a PC, the wireless may be turned off in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections. Try right clicking "Wireless Connections" and see if it's been disabled. If so, click "enable" :)

It could very well be a more in depth problem than my suggestions, but like I said, sometimes the switches/buttons turn off the internet by accident when moving around a laptop and perhaps if you used a wired connection on a laptop or PC, the Wireless Connection could have been disabled a long time ago and forgotten about by the time you want to hook it up to WiFi.

I hope your issue is resolved soon - this forum seems like the perfect place to get friendly and informed help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.