1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Devise not ready' CD-ROM Windows 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Singer35, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Singer35

Singer35 Thread Starter

I had to reformat my C: drive (no partitions) and reinstall Windows 98SE and everything worked well at first. Windows itself installed perfectly but after installing many programs suddenly my CD-ROM (drive F) stopped working. Devise manager says it is working fine but it won't read a CD. After inserting a CD the light goes on as if reading it - but then I get the message that the "devise is not ready. I've tried reinstalling/updating the driver but apparently it's the correct driver for that CD-ROM.

Drive F [CD writer] works properly.

Any help appreciated,

Fran

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you boot to a DOS floppy that has CD support and access the drive.

Also, most times you don't need any drivers for Win98 to access a CD ROM.

3. Singer35

Singer35 Thread Starter

tried rebooting to floppy and although I can access the drive I get the "Abort/Fail/Retry' option.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If neither Windows or DOS will recognize your CD ROM, it could be a defective CD or CD ROM Drive. Try replacing both.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried reading more than one cd?

6. Singer35

Singer35 Thread Starter

I've tried that by 'updating driver" from a 'selected drive' but it says the driver is the correct one then does nothing. I don't want to delete anything untill I know for sure what I'm doing. Also when I startup I get a screen saying that there Windows has found 'new [unamed] hardware' and asks to install the driver. When I put in the CD it says it can't find one. REally weird as it worked fine yesterday morning so it's must be something I've loaded but didn't know about. I'm getting bleary eyed now so will try to work on it again tomorrow.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice