1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DFS Empty Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kirbyd, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirbyd

Kirbyd Thread Starter

:confused:

I've setup a DFS system on Windows 2000 servers. I am currently using Windows NT 4.0, SP6 as my client. The first partition is Server1 and the second partition is Server2. Some of my PC's can see both partitions, some can only see Server1. Server 2 can be seen but the folders under it can not. The rights are the same on both folder; Everyone with Full Control. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kirbyd

2. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

You mention that the client (singular) is NT 4.0 but you also mentioned that some see and some don't. Do all the clients use the same OS? And what protocols are you using on the clients? Are they they same? I know, I answered a question with more questions. Sorry. :)

3. Kirbyd

Kirbyd Thread Starter

They are all NT 4.0 with SP6. The protocols being used are: TCP/IP, NWLink(Netware). Thanks!

4. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

Kirbyd,
    Try sharing a sub folder on Server2. See if you can see that subfolder.

5. Kirbyd

Kirbyd Thread Starter

The only thing I can see is Server2. Nothing will show that is created under there from certain PC's. I can create folders from certain PC's but not from the others.

It seems like a rights issue but it just seems odd that some systems will and some won't.

6. Kirbyd

Kirbyd Thread Starter

FYI: This problem is only ocurring on Leaf DFS.

7. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

You could try taking off the NWLink protocol, and just run TCP/IP. Unless you're using the NWLink because of Netware.

8. StillRushn

StillRushn

Only 1 DFS root is allowed on each server. I guess when you say server1 partition this is one server and server 2 partition is a second server with a link from the first? Both servers must be in the same domain. You can 't link from one domain to a child domain as the same type of thing will occur as what your experiencing. I just thought I would throw this out as food for thought.

9. Kirbyd

Kirbyd Thread Starter

Correct. Server1 and server2 are in the same domain, Server 1 has the DFS and server 2 is the leaf.

I will check the version of Nwlink and see if that makes a different. All laptops and PC's are running Nwlink. Thanks for your help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice