DHCP disconnecting me from internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pleps

Whenever I am playing video games on my phone or PC, I get disconnected every hour and it really annoys me when I need a permanent connection to the internet. I've tried setting a static IP but it doesn't work for me. Is there a reason for my DHCP lease renewing to disconnect me from the internet? It's been happening for weeks and I can't find a solution.
Thanks for any help!

Phone : Motorola G6 Play
Router/Modem : 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus AC1900 Router
Model : MG7550
ISP : Xfinity

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How do you know your public IP from Comcast is changing? I have Comcast and my public IP hasn't changed for months and would venture to say years. Are you able to see what the lease expiration is? I highly doubt Comcast is setting up their dynamic IPs to have such a small lease interval. It creates unnecessary headaches on their end for management and causes additional chatter on the network which is not needed.

Pleps

How do you know your public IP from Comcast is changing? I have Comcast and my public IP hasn't changed for months and would venture to say years. Are you able to see what the lease expiration is? I highly doubt Comcast is setting up their dynamic IPs to have such a small lease interval. It creates unnecessary headaches on their end for management and causes additional chatter on the network which is not needed.
if I go to cmd and type ipconfig /all , it shows up with the lease obtained of (ex.) 4:22:18 PM and a lease expires of 5:22:18 PM and it won't let me change it on my router settings

Gr3iz

Mark
It does sound like it is a setting on your router, not with your ISP. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP lease time under LAN/DHCP Server settings:
upload_2019-6-1_16-50-39.png

Pleps

It does sound like it is a setting on your router, not with your ISP. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP lease time under LAN/DHCP Server settings:
View attachment 270125
I set this to a week, but it doesn't work so Idk what to do

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 7:58:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 8:58:36 PM

but then I go to my router and it says
Lease Time of Addresses in Pool (seconds) 604800

Last edited:
What is the brand and model of your router ? There seems to be a lot of "16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus " from searching on Google.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is the brand and model of your router ? There seems to be a lot of "16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus " from searching on Google.
https://motorolanetwork.com/mg7550.html

Do you have any other routers connected or just this one modem/router combo?
Do you have any other devices that is connected with a wire to your modem? If so you also see this drop off?

When you do drop off, does the icon for the wireless change/disappear?

When it does not work on the PC, do a IPCONFIG/ALL and copy/paste the info here when you can.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online