Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DHCP disconnecting me from internet

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 · (Edited)
Whenever I am playing video games on my phone or PC, I get disconnected every hour and it really annoys me when I need a permanent connection to the internet. I've tried setting a static IP but it doesn't work for me. Is there a reason for my DHCP lease renewing to disconnect me from the internet? It's been happening for weeks and I can't find a solution.
Thanks for any help!

Phone : Motorola G6 Play
Router/Modem : 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus AC1900 Router
Model : MG7550
ISP : Xfinity

#4 ·
How do you know your public IP from Comcast is changing? I have Comcast and my public IP hasn't changed for months and would venture to say years. Are you able to see what the lease expiration is? I highly doubt Comcast is setting up their dynamic IPs to have such a small lease interval. It creates unnecessary headaches on their end for management and causes additional chatter on the network which is not needed.

#6 ·
It does sound like it is a setting on your router, not with your ISP. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP lease time under LAN/DHCP Server settings:
Font Technology Screenshot Multimedia Software

#7 · (Edited)
It does sound like it is a setting on your router, not with your ISP. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP lease time under LAN/DHCP Server settings:
View attachment 270125
I set this to a week, but it doesn't work so Idk what to do

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 7:58:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 8:58:36 PM

but then I go to my router and it says
Lease Time of Addresses in Pool (seconds) 604800

#9 ·
https://motorolanetwork.com/mg7550.html

Do you have any other routers connected or just this one modem/router combo?
Do you have any other devices that is connected with a wire to your modem? If so you also see this drop off?

When you do drop off, does the icon for the wireless change/disappear?

When it does not work on the PC, do a IPCONFIG/ALL and copy/paste the info here when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.