1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP disconnecting me from internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pleps, Jun 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Pleps

Pleps Thread Starter

Whenever I am playing video games on my phone or PC, I get disconnected every hour and it really annoys me when I need a permanent connection to the internet. I've tried setting a static IP but it doesn't work for me. Is there a reason for my DHCP lease renewing to disconnect me from the internet? It's been happening for weeks and I can't find a solution.
    Thanks for any help!

Phone : Motorola G6 Play
    Router/Modem : 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus AC1900 Router
    Model : MG7550
    ISP : Xfinity

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You failed to mention your ISP.

3. Pleps

Pleps Thread Starter

Just edited my post, sorry about that.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How do you know your public IP from Comcast is changing? I have Comcast and my public IP hasn't changed for months and would venture to say years. Are you able to see what the lease expiration is? I highly doubt Comcast is setting up their dynamic IPs to have such a small lease interval. It creates unnecessary headaches on their end for management and causes additional chatter on the network which is not needed.

5. Pleps

Pleps Thread Starter

if I go to cmd and type ipconfig /all , it shows up with the lease obtained of (ex.) 4:22:18 PM and a lease expires of 5:22:18 PM and it won't let me change it on my router settings

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It does sound like it is a setting on your router, not with your ISP. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP lease time under LAN/DHCP Server settings:
    upload_2019-6-1_16-50-39.png

7. Pleps

Pleps Thread Starter

I set this to a week, but it doesn't work so Idk what to do

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 7:58:36 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 1, 2019 8:58:36 PM

but then I go to my router and it says
    Lease Time of Addresses in Pool (seconds) 604800

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  8. lunarlander

lunarlander

What is the brand and model of your router ? There seems to be a lot of "16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem plus " from searching on Google.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    https://motorolanetwork.com/mg7550.html

Do you have any other routers connected or just this one modem/router combo?
    Do you have any other devices that is connected with a wire to your modem? If so you also see this drop off?

When you do drop off, does the icon for the wireless change/disappear?

When it does not work on the PC, do a IPCONFIG/ALL and copy/paste the info here when you can.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice