1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP event 1003 error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by retchedmonkey, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retchedmonkey

retchedmonkey Thread Starter

Hey guys! I've been scouring the net to see if anyone has a solution to my problem but as of yet, found nothing, and decided to post my problem here.

I recently formatted my PC and reinstalled windows XP Pro SP3 and installed a new graphics card. Now when I play games or am browsing the web, occasionally I will lose connection for 30 seconds to a minute.

In the event viewer I see...

11:42:55
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001D7D98D4D0. The following error occurred:
    The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

11:43:26
    Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001D7D98D4D0. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

11:43:29
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001D7D98D4D0. The IP address being used is 169.254.80.6.

When it happens and I'm on the desktop, the little bubble comes up saying a network cable has been unplugged. Is this a problem with my NIC or the ethernet cable? I'm looking for clues here before I do anything costly...cheers.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ... saying a network cable has been unplugged. Is this a problem with my NIC or the ethernet cable?

Yes, it probably is. Use a different cable with the PC or a different computer with the cable to try to determine which.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice