DHCP got lost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sidbub

It seems when I open a long Word doc and do some optical mouse scrolling, the computer crashes and reboots. Here's the event viewer message. This has happened quite a few times before. Do you think the Logitech mouse has a problem? Thank you for any input to this matter.

Attachments

As for the crashing...that's another issue.

As for the error, there is an issue with the DHCP server. Are you on a home network? Could you do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt and post it for me?

I've never heard of a mouse causing a computer not to obtain an IP address. I would take a look at whatever network adapters you're using, and attempt a repair. Also, it would be helpful to know what on your network is issuing out IP Addresses. (Router, Server, Etc.)

sidbub

I am on a home network. My desktop is wireless to my Netgear wireless router.WGT624. Here is the ipconfig all.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : registered-user
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-2C-E6-16

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapt
er with SpeedBooster v2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-17-6A-AB-B7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:19:56 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:58:01 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>

Do you have this IP configured statically? That IP address looks a little low to be in a DHCP range. Typically, you would issue out client address like 192.168.0.100 - 200, or something like that. Leave all the low IP's for devices like printers, routers, etc.

sidbub

I am not sure on this question. What should I do to correct this?

Control Panel/Network Connections / Right click on the network connection you're using and select PROPERTIES. Double click on TCP/IP. Does it have any addresses configured in there. Or does it say to obtain automatically??

Make sure your nics power saving properties are set to disabled so windows isn't shutting off the nic. I have seen that error when the nic was put to sleep by windows.

That dhcp error has nothing to do with your crashing. What other errors are there in event viewer? Look in the system and application event viewer logs.

That looks fine. Your PC just obtained a new lease on an IP address about 30 minutes ago. Are there any other systems on this network?

Are you having any network issues or is it just that your PC is crashing?

TerryNet

Terry
"Do you have this IP configured statically? That IP address looks a little low to be in a DHCP range."

Not enough sleep last night, skinnywhiteboy? :) Don't take offense, I'm just pointing out the obvious: just above the IP address is "Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes." Many routers, including my Belkin and Netgear, default to an IP address range of .2 through something.

sidbub

There is a laptop on the network. Also, a wired desktop in another room. Here is a message that was appearing on the wired desktop.

Attachments

Show me an IPCONFIG /ALL on the wired desktop.

Sounds like you've got it hardcoded with an IP address that is the same as your other system.

sidbub

My network card is Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter

APM Network mode is enabled
WAke on lan is enabled
Link wakeup(on>off) disabled
Link wakeup(off>on) enabled

Power management is allow this device to bring out of standby.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online