DHCP IP address not starting with 10

wolfmajor

All, anytime my laptop (MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.6) starts acting up, I check the assigned IP address. Normally, the address starts with 10, but when it's been assigned an address starting with 192, I can't access the internet. If I manually assign an IP like 10.0.0.99, it's good to go. Same thing happens on another family member's MacBook Pro and my sister's Dell Windows system. Sometimes, it'll be running correctly, then suddenly stop accessing the internet.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

I have Comcast and a rented wifi router (the newest one).
Thanks.

All, anytime my laptop (MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.6) starts acting up, I check the assigned IP address. Normally, the address starts with 10, but when it's been assigned an address starting with 192, I can't access the internet. If I manually assign an IP like 10.0.0.99, it's good to go. Same thing happens on another family member's MacBook Pro and my sister's Dell Windows system. Sometimes, it'll be running correctly, then suddenly stop accessing the internet.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

I have Comcast and a rented wifi router (the newest one).
Thanks.
Since you are renting your router from Comcast, it would be best to contact Customer Support or their Technical Support regarding this issue. They would be best to assist you with the router issue since both computers are being affected (laptop and the Dell unit).

Couriant

James
Do you have any other routers connected to the modem? I agree with Nader though, check with Comcast as your modem (I assume a wireless modem?) should not have 2 separate networks like that.

Are there other networks (wifi) that your laptop may be joining? Make sure you are connected to your own (Comcast router) / network. Comcast default uses 10.0.0.* address space. Since you are getting a 192... that is another network.

More advanced:
Some newer routers also have additional networks that can be configured (Virtual LAN). These will be issolated from the default LAN. These are used for IOT devices or for guests. These can be configured with 192 or other 10. DHCP scopes. If you are not using these, change the SSID(network name) or disable them.

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I agree with the others. Assuming you are connecting to the right SSID, there has to be a "rogue" DHCP server on your network. Are you running an extra wireless router acting as an access point to extend wireless coverage on your network?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online