dhcp IP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

arvindai

I am getting IP from the DHCP server, but when i release & renew the IP address I am getting the same IP address. what should I do to get some different IP address

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Where are you getting the IP address from? Are you talking about your network card in your pc or your broadband connection for your router?

DHCP is usually based on Lease times. So if you do a release and renew you will usually get back the same IP address.

If you are talking about getting a new IP address from your broadband connection, turn off your modem and router for a couple of hours and then turn it back on. It might give you a new IP address then.

Why do you want a new IP address?

arvindai

i am working in lan environment and am getting same IP also after the lease period gets over. how could i get some other IP. Any help really solicited. thanks

Why do you want some other IP though? It doesn't make a difference unless your having some IP conflict with something else on the network??

if youare getting an an IP on your LAN device then its a private IP 192.168x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.31.x.x Your system admin probably assigned that IP to the mac address of your PC so you will always get same IP.You can ask him to give you a different ip or change NIC card.
If you are getting same IP from your ISP even after lease exipres then your ISP is using sticky ip's. Bounding IP's to your modems mac address.

Actually a DHCP client will always request the last address it had by default, even after the lease has expired. There doesn't have to be any reservation set up.

You could turn off your computer and temporarily set another client to have the IP address you don't want any more, or temporarily create a reservation on the DHCP server for a different IP address. Once your client can't get the old address due to a conflict, or is given a reserved address once, it won't go back to requesting the old address.

This will only work in a LAN environment, of course. Don't try this to change the address with your ISP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online