1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP is enabled but it says NO on the cmd

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ayblchgr, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ayblchgr

ayblchgr Thread Starter

Hello,
    On the TCP/IPv4 , i set my IP address to be obtained automatically as well as the DNS sever address, technically the DHCP should be enabled, but when i verify using the cmd (ipconfig/all) the result is (DHCP............NO) only for the Tunnel Adapters, but YES, for the other ones, is that normal? I am having a problem with my ADSL dropping each time my homephone rings or when i make a call from it, the network icon on the taskbar gets the yellow sign, then i right-click on it and click "troubleshoot problems" > result : "DNS server isn't responding" , by the way, i'm using a filter with dual outputs, one for ADSL and one for the homephone, i used 3 different filters from 3 different manufacturers but the problem never gets solved, someone told me it might be the cable being an old non- optic fiber, i'm fed up i need help!
    thanks

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

in the same spot where you set the dhcp on ipv4, the button below that is for dns. set the dns server to 8.8.8.8 and the one under that to 8.8.4.4. those are googles public dns servers. see if that helps, it should fix the dns server issue, but i wouldn't think that would cause your problems with dropping service when a call comes in. but i'm no expert on dsl internet.

3. bill222

bill222

I don't know how to fix your problem.

But I will mention that it is normal not to have DHCP enabled on the tunnel adapters... not really sure under what conditions they get used, but in most ordinary setups they play no part in your internet operations.

I will also mention that there are very many of us living with old copper wires. Especially for those of us a long way from the central office, that means we have to settle for fairly slow connections: mine works out in practice to somewhat under 3mbps download, and they tell me that is the best they can do. But it does work, pretty reliably, and I have never had a problem with interactions between voice calls and the dsl service.

It is not clear how that interaction happens. The filter is to keep the high frequency DSL signal out of the analog telephone equipment. There is usually no filter on the DSL side... the modem should work fine connected directly to the line, ignoring any low frequency analog signals that might be present.

If somehow the filter connections were reversed, so that the DSL signal to the modem is attenuated while there is a low impedance connection to the phone, then I could imagine that picking up the receiver could kill your DSL. And reversed connections on the filter could account for other problems, due to the resulting very weak DSL signal at your modem.

But if you have tried several different kinds of filters and thus looked at the hookup several times, it does not seem likely that you have the connections reversed. So I don't know what to tell you... it may be that you need to get your provider to run a line quality test, looking for a poor connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Any other phone jacks? If so, the problem could be a missing or defective filter there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice