1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cholam20, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cholam20

cholam20 Thread Starter

Gurus,

I am seeing a strange problem with very few dhcp clients.
    It shows connected but the gateway will not ping.
    If I give a static Ip or any other IP other than the IP the system is having network is fine.

But if I do a release/renew the system is getting the same IP.

DHCP server is in windows 2003.

How to get a new IP from a DHCP server when I release and renew it.

thanks
    cholam20

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand why you want to do that, but the solution is to release and then not renew until after the end of the lease period. That doesn't guarantee a different IP address, but it makes it possible.

3. axis77

axis77

so your saying you cant ping your default gateway from the pc that gets this specific dhcp address? can you ping this pc from another pc that is using the same subnet for this dchp server, can other pc's that get dhcp ping the gateway? what about your dhcp pool, are you sure that you have the correct amount of usuable ip's for the amount of pc's on your network?

4. cholam20

cholam20 Thread Starter

I did not check whether system giving problem is pinging from other machine in the same subnet.

systems which are dhcp clients ping to their gateway.

The lease period is for 8 days. hence relese renew gives the same Ip and with that IP the system will not work.

Only giving static IP solves the problem.

But as I dont want to use static Ip. how to solve this..Is it problem with DHCP server or in the system or in the switch.

please clarify.

thanks

5. axis77

axis77

well i think you could still try a couple of things here
    1. attempt to ping other devices on the same subnet from this pc
    2. start looking closely at that specific ip address are you sure its not being used for something else on the network that needs a static ip? perhaps a printer or scanner or server?
    3. when you say static works, do you mean you plug in the same ip address that the dhcp is giving you and it works and can ping the gateway or are you saying if you put anyother static in the pc it works?
    4. do you have vlans set up on the switch that this pc in connected too? perhaps that one port is not for that specific vlan?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice