DHCP problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JediKnightr

Hey guys! I'm having trouble with a PC I just built. It's got an AXP 2400+ Mobile proc and a DFI Ultra Infinity mobo. For some reason (and I've had this problem with the last 2 installs I've done) I can't seem to obtain a DHCP address. It assigns me a random IP thats totally off from the rest of the network and won't gives me errors when I try to renew it.

Help!

JediKnightr

EDIT: N00B ALERT!

It's just at the default Windows server. I havent changed it from the install.

JediKnightr

I even put in a different NIC and still no go...

I tried specifying an IP and it still wont ping anything. When I do an ipconfig it's missing a "Connection-specific DNS Suffix". How do I input this?

I'm not clear on what machine you want to obtain an address for, but I am going to assume that it is a client to the server.

To obtain an IP address automatically, you need to have in place a device to handle the requests for addresses and to ensure that addresses are not duplicated. When a client boots up it broadcasts a message asking "Are there any addresses servers out there"?

For most business networks DHCP is handled by an actual server. For most small offfice and home environments it is handled by a router, or directly by the ISP.

To use a Windows 2000 server as a DHCP server you must first install the option from the Add/Remove programs (in the Windows options)

Next you must configure what address range it will assign making sure not to include statically configured devices like printers and servers. Finally, you start the service and it takes over from there. There's a bit more too it, but that at least gets you pointed in the right direction. Other things you will need to know is what the "Default Gateway" is and what the addresss to the DNS server is as these get handed out to the clients along with the IP address.

Steve

Steve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts