1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP Server Lease Time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nutter_9591, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutter_9591

Nutter_9591 Thread Starter

im using a d-link di-604 router to share a broadband connection(cable)between two pc's. under the dhcp tab, dhcp server is enabled, there is starting and ending ip address and lease time which is set to one week. what does this lease time thing mean? sorry newbie question.

2. dai

dai

i think it just renews itself automatically

3. jjb

jjb

Basically the way most (if not all) cable providers operate is on the "lease" system which when your internet signal reaches your cable provider it is routed and turned over to a third party isp which then assigns ip addresses. I believe this is the difference between what is referred to as a "static" internet connection where your ip address is always the same. Depending on the terms the cable provider has with the third party provider depends on the length of lease time you are seeing and will vary. I thought mine normally showed a 12-24 hour period between when obtained and when lease expires but I just looked and currently shows a 4 hour difference. As dai stated they automatically refresh themselves at which time I believe in most cases a new ip address is also assigned. I am not positive on this but I believe a new lease is also obtained whenever you reboot/connect to the internet.
    I have heard of some people experiancing disconnects when the lease refreshes where they have to reboot to regain their internet connection......................in fact I have had this happen myself :(
    Hope that helps.
    jjb

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The DHCP lease time should be transparent to you in a properly working system. Basically, the lease is for the current IP address from the ISP, and it automatically gets renewed by a request from the client (your router) when the lease is halfway expired. Don't give it another thought. :)

5. Nutter_9591

Nutter_9591 Thread Starter

thanks for every one's help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice