1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dhcp server unavailable?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by -Bender-, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -Bender-

-Bender- Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I just finished building my computer, specs below, and im having a problem getting the internet to work. When ever i release and renew my ip it says dhcp server unavailable, i tryed reinstalling the nic driver , removing and adding my tcp\ip protocol,tryed a different nic to but i get the same problem so im just not sure what else to try:(
    O and im running 98se

Thanks for your help

Bender

2. onlykims

onlykims

How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a firewall set up? Have you already installed all the updates for 98se? Can you ping 127.0.0.1? When you swapped NICs, was it a known-good you used? Have you checked your browser settings?
    Kim

3. -Bender-

-Bender- Thread Starter

I connect through cable internet, i havn't done the 98 se updates yet, it works when i ping 127.0.0.1 and the other nic i tryed was working because im using it in this comp now. Thanks for the reply:)

4. onlykims

onlykims

Check your cable, if you aren't wireless. Try uninstalling and reinstalling DUN (dial-up networking) in windows components. Use ipconfig /all and find out what your dhcp server ip is on the one that is working and try pinging it from the one that isn't.... When you're in ipconfig, check what ip you are getting - it should be a 169.254 series if you aren't able to connect to the dhcp server. If none of that works - try cycling the power on your modem (turn off the pc, unplug the modem for a couple of mins and then plug it back in and let it finish it's light dance before turning your pc back on). Barring all of that, phone your ISP (double check your agreement first with regards to a network - a lot of ISPs can't troubleshoot a network)
    Kim

5. -Bender-

-Bender- Thread Starter

Thanks for the help:) still having no luck though:( ill keep trying other things and if all else fails ill phone my isp.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This isn't uncommon for W98, sometimes it won't renew IP addresses cleanly, but a reboot always fixes the problem. There should be no reason you're releasing and renewing the IP as a normal operational action, right?

7. -Bender-

-Bender- Thread Starter

k i got it to work i just unplugged my modem for 10 min then hooked it back up(like onlykim said:) ) and now it has the same dhcp server as the computer im on now but i still cant get online i know theres somthing little im missing... what is it:)?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice