1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DHCP Server using (1) Network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tsfirebird, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsfirebird

tsfirebird Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

We our setting up a Training Company to assist unemployed IT people in the Silicon Valley area of California. Our group is very small and having a hard time even getting our network here started. Here is the problem: We have Windows 2003 Server Enterprise 180-day usage disc (from a book we bought to learn). We have 5 static IP addresses leased from DSL carrier. They are for example: 65.123.141.10 thru 65.123.141.14 with a gateway of 65.123.141.9 [these are only IP numbers used for example to prevent hacking] my subnet mask is 255.255.255.248 We tried and tried for 2 weeks now and still can not get the complete network to work. We need: Step1.) The server to be secure with a firewall (but willing to forgo that and add later) Step2.) the server to issue Ip addresses from a pool of 192.168.0.10 thru 12 to 3 workstations running XP(we decided to make the server 192.168.0.5, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1 Step3.) Have access to the internet on all workstations and the server too. All we have succeeded to do is get the dhcp to issue out addressses to the workstations and even that i think we got lucky. We think the problem is somewhere you need to tell the (maybe iprouting?) setup that the Public ip address is the 65.123.141.10 and gateway, subnet info and to route to the server PRIVATE ip address 192.168.0.5
    Thank you for any help. We are on very limited funds here and appreciate any help. My number is 925-984-9907 if you wish to call. We will be adding a feature later to our support group to help people find a IT job as well if you need our help its FREE if you help us out. Thats the best we can offer back right now! :)
    Gary

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you thought about buying a cheap router. If your DSL modem has a Ethernet port I would suggest buying a cheap router. I am confused on why you needed 5 static IP address from your DSL provider if you are trying to setup NAT to your lan.

3. tsfirebird

I am using one static IP address form Pacbell for the PDC. another IP address for the BDC. Another (1) ip addresses for a web server and the other (2) for the test lab servers to teach anyone that wants to pick up job skills for IT. If I use a Linksys wireless router it has a built in DHCP that would not teach any canidates wanting to learn how to set up a server for DHCP. So i guess we are all trying to learn a little more here. Our first goal will to be to have free computer usage for the unemployed to do resumes and elearning...search for jobs. The big goal is to get setup to experiment on Windows 2003 server which a lot of people are hiring for. Where I am confused from the start is do i configure the one server LAN card for a set IP private address of 192.168.0.1 and what about the gateway and DNS settings? Or do i set that all up as the Static Pacbell Ip address 65.121.xxx.xx whatever....etc. thanks for help. Call me if you would like. 925-984-9907

4. scottosan

scottosan

Based on your equipment and goals, you have only 2 choiceswill wither have to purchase a router, or another nic card and run NAT on the server.

5. Tiorum

Tiorum

The best solution is a router that runs the dhcp and automatically assigns ip addresses as the systems are brought up on the lan. A hardware firewall/NAT is much better than a software based one. There really is no reason to have more than one static ip for the router with everything running thru that. You only want more than one when you are doing things like web hosting and want individual ips for different sites, ftp, ect. I hope this helps.

6. Squashman

If you want the 2003 server to do DHCP, I am sure you can turn off the DHCP function of the Router. My D-link does.

7. Tiorum

Tiorum

yes its easy to turn it off on most routers, but then you have to have the server run 2 nics, and run dhcp off that. For simple and easy to use, I have found dhcp coming from the router works well. Although ti takes more tech know how, assigning ips is even better for print servers and network drives. Just my .02

8. Squashman

Why would he need two nics. One nic will work just fine to run a DHCP server if it is hooked into his router. He would need two nics if he is not going to use the router and do NAT on the server but not DHCP.

9. tsfirebird

Here is an update. I got the 2 Lan cards to work only after a Forum user on AOL chat (who is pretty darn smart for a young age by the way) told me to make the internal (internal office network on 192) routers gateway set to the static IP address of the external card (DSL). Plus I had to setup NAT otherwise it would not work. Does anyone know of a good step-by-step book or guide to setup a server or network? Or even better yet something online the web? It is amazing...I went to all the books stores and looked for 9 hours --- a whole day and then some, looked through the Windows 2003 Server books and there was not one that had a like a step by step approach to setup a server. Most small offices are going to setup a server the ABC way without heavy complications. Why? Because they don't want to hire a internal IT guy to be there everytime a glitch comes up. The keep it simple rule. So one would think there is like a cut and dry way of writing this step by step guide. Anyone know of any?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice